Question about gunicorn, nginx, and workers

Question about gunicorn, nginx, and workers

Falinwa Hans
Hi Community,

I have some question regarding perfomance in Odoo.
I have learn about gunicorn, nginx.
But I still confuse what is the advantage when we use it.
I still don't know the purpose of it and how it works.
I have search in google, and there's no enough explanation on it.
There's just a tutorial to configure it but there's no explanation about the benefit of it.
Can someone explain me a bit about that?

and about worker in openerp config. should we give the value to the worker like 5?
what is the difference between we give the value to 0, or more than 0?

Should we use all this feature when we have like 50 users in our database?
Because even we don't use it all these features, it still work smooth.
Just the problem is when we want to export and import a lot of records more than 2k, it will be very slow, and when the other user use the Odoo it will be very slow too.
So when we use all that feature, we can solve this problem?
Hans Yonathan
Odoo Support
FALINWA Limited
Expert in Finance & Business Intelligence
Odoo Silver Partner
Website: www.falinwa.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Question about gunicorn, nginx, and workers

digitalsatori
Hi Hans,

By default (without the 'workers' setting), OpenERP will be in threading
mode for handling concurrent requests. Because of python's 'GIL'
limitation, python application (OpenERP in this case)  has no ability to
scale for multiple cores. However, OpenERP can switch to multi-process
mode (by configuring the 'workers' setting) to take advantage of the
multi-core on your server.

Gunicorn is not needed since OpenERP V7 as the feature is already
implemented in OpenERP.

Setting workers is really easy, just follow the following formula:

--workers=$((1+${CORES}*2)) (so, 2 cores on the server, workers should be 5, 4 cores to 9, and so on and so forth)

workers setting will only boost up the concurrent process. The importing
process causing the system slow could be due to other reason.

Hope this information will help.

Good luck.

Tony Gu
Shine IT Co. Ltd.