[Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

[Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
Hello,

I found this blog post both interesting and useful :
http://blog.spreedly.com/2014/06/24/merge-pull-request-considered-harmful

Leonardo Pistone had shown me https://github.com/github/hub before and
it's a nice tool. And since odoo and the community addons are moving to
a new platform, I thought I'd share this piece of insight with all of you.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Lionel Sausin
Very interesting reading. I totally support this point of view even if
I'm only a contributor - clean history is hours not lost searching for
stuff. Bisect, annotate, etc all become easier.

Le 27/06/2014 12:10, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I found this blog post both interesting and useful :
> http://blog.spreedly.com/2014/06/24/merge-pull-request-considered-harmful
>
> Leonardo Pistone had shown me https://github.com/github/hub before and
> it's a nice tool. And since odoo and the community addons are moving to
> a new platform, I thought I'd share this piece of insight with all of you.

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Tymoteusz Motylewski
+1 for the clean git history. Merge commits are painful.
With clean commit messages and linear history things like changelog can be easily generated automatically. And by changelog I mean sth which really gives the reader some knowledge.
See other OSS project TYPO3 Neos for example of such a history

Very interesting reading. I totally support this point of view even if I'm only a contributor - clean history is hours not lost searching for stuff. Bisect, annotate, etc all become easier.

Le 27/06/2014 12:10, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :

Hello,

I found this blog post both interesting and useful :
http://blog.spreedly.com/2014/06/24/merge-pull-request-considered-harmful

Leonardo Pistone had shown me https://github.com/github/hub before and
it's a nice tool. And since odoo and the community addons are moving to
a new platform, I thought I'd share this piece of insight with all of you.

Pozdrawiam serdecznie / Best regards
Tymoteusz Motylewski
Head of development
+48 502 472 202

[hidden email]

http://www.macopedia.pl/
Ul. Roosevelta 5/8
60-829 Poznań
Tel. +48 61 622 96 95
Fax +48 61 623 24 48/
Macopedia Spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością, z siedzibą ul.
Roosevelta 5/8; 60-829 Poznań, wpisana do Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego,
prowadzonego przez Sąd Rejonowy, VIII Wydział Gospodarczy, KRS
0000416744, o opłaconym kapitale zakładowym w wysokości 5.000,00 zł, o
numerze NIP: 781-187-78-41, numerze Regon 302076699

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
We have to set new contributing HowTos for working with GitHub, and this article points out some troubles with Merge PR button, but the way it says to merge PR can be very laborious for maintainers. Can we assume this amount of extra work? One of the highlights we talk about when the switch to GitHub was the Merge PR button.

Regards.

[...]

Tel. <a href="tel:%2B48%2061%20622%2096%2095" value="+48616229695" target="_blank">+48 61 622 96 95
Fax <a href="tel:%2B48%2061%20623%2024%2048" value="+48616232448" target="_blank">+48 61 623 24 48/
Macopedia Spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością, z siedzibą ul.
Roosevelta 5/8; 60-829 Poznań, wpisana do Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego,
prowadzonego przez Sąd Rejonowy, VIII Wydział Gospodarczy, KRS
0000416744, o opłaconym kapitale zakładowym w wysokości 5.000,00 zł, o
numerze NIP: 781-187-78-41, numerze Regon 302076699

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Nhomar Hernández

Pedro.

It is a "good to have" but I think we can just pull locally test and then push.

If you do this process recommended it ia good too! But IMHO Not the rule for now.

Be careful! The pr button is dangerous without a correct CIS configured.

Written from my android

On Jul 2, 2014 3:16 PM, "Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Joël Grand-Guillaume @ camptocamp
I think, after reading carefully, that this is more important than it seems. By increasing the number of project, it's important that such rule are given, even if not a constraint for now. But at least we should let people now about.

So I'm in favor of writing this in the docs and howto's. Committers should now that IMO.

Improving the quality is one of our goal, even if not applicable eveytime by lack of time, it should be our goal.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

camptocamp
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS

Joël Grand-Guillaume
Division Manager
Business Solutions

+41 21 619 10 28

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Leonardo Pistone - camptocamp
IMHO, what maintainers did on Launchpad was to just to merge, thus
creating one new commit including all the changes in the feature
branch. In addition to that, we could to small modifications ourselves
before pushing to Launchpad.

On the other hand, git makes it possible to do things that we would
not even dream to do practically with bazaar: an interactive rebase
allows to clean up history doing things like

- rebasing the history, making it look like history is more linear
than it was at the start
- clean up history by squashing old commits together
- get rid of commits that break the automatic tests, allowing historic
operations like bisect and benchmarks on the history
- change past commit messages to make them better

and so on.

Or we can just use the "merge" button on github, that does the same
thing we did manually on Launchpad (clearly without the possibility to
make small changes ourselves).

So IMO it's good to have some guidelines to contributors (i.e. try to
produce a clean history in their branch) but I would wait a bit before
forcing maintainers to have a complex workflow in all cases.

In the meantime we can, for example, try to ask kindly to contributors
to improve their feature branches themselves, and use git-rebase-fu
only when necessary.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Joël Grand-Guillaume
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think, after reading carefully, that this is more important than it seems.
> By increasing the number of project, it's important that such rule are
> given, even if not a constraint for now. But at least we should let people
> now about.
>
> So I'm in favor of writing this in the docs and howto's. Committers should
> now that IMO.
>
> Improving the quality is one of our goal, even if not applicable eveytime by
> lack of time, it should be our goal.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Pedro.
>>
>> It is a "good to have" but I think we can just pull locally test and then
>> push.
>>
>> If you do this process recommended it ia good too! But IMHO Not the rule
>> for now.
>>
>> Be careful! The pr button is dangerous without a correct CIS configured.
>>
>> Written from my android
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2014 3:16 PM, "Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have to set new contributing HowTos for working with GitHub, and this
>>> article points out some troubles with Merge PR button, but the way it says
>>> to merge PR can be very laborious for maintainers. Can we assume this amount
>>> of extra work? One of the highlights we talk about when the switch to GitHub
>>> was the Merge PR button.
>>>
>>> Regards.

> camptocamp
> INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
> BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>
> Joël Grand-Guillaume
> Division Manager
> Business Solutions
>
> +41 21 619 10 28
> www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Raphael Valyi
Hello,

+1
for what Leornardo said.

There are huge Github projects such as Rails that use these merge buttons just fine and are some of the most successful projects around...

We should free maintainers from work, who already give their time for free, even if that means putting more burden of the guys who contribute.
In any case Github is lowering the contribution barrier a lot compared to Launchpad.

So I would say if a PR is clean, let's jut allow to merge it with that merge button or git merge.

Now, if a PR is not clean,
then we still have 2 choices to avoid doing ugly merges:
1) ask the contributor to squash or rebase or clean in anyway
2) the maintainer does the cleanup himself

A concrete example: last time when I submitted a patch to the Gollum project (derivated from github wiki), the maintainer asked me to squash several commits which I did and which was perfectly fine
He then probably used that merge button. Everybody fine, no maintenance hassle.

In any case we can avoid ugly merges without to have to put all the burden always on the maintainer as Leonardo said.

Well, just my opinion.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think, after reading carefully, that this is more important than it seems.
> By increasing the number of project, it's important that such rule are
> given, even if not a constraint for now. But at least we should let people
> now about.
>
> So I'm in favor of writing this in the docs and howto's. Committers should
> now that IMO.
>
> Improving the quality is one of our goal, even if not applicable eveytime by
> lack of time, it should be our goal.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Pedro.
>>
>> It is a "good to have" but I think we can just pull locally test and then
>> push.
>>
>> If you do this process recommended it ia good too! But IMHO Not the rule
>> for now.
>>
>> Be careful! The pr button is dangerous without a correct CIS configured.
>>
>> Written from my android
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2014 3:16 PM, "Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have to set new contributing HowTos for working with GitHub, and this
>>> article points out some troubles with Merge PR button, but the way it says
>>> to merge PR can be very laborious for maintainers. Can we assume this amount
>>> of extra work? One of the highlights we talk about when the switch to GitHub
>>> was the Merge PR button.
>>>
>>> Regards.

> camptocamp
> INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
> BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>
> Joël Grand-Guillaume
> Division Manager
> Business Solutions

> www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Ovnicraft

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Raphael Valyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

+1
for what Leornardo said.

There are huge Github projects such as Rails that use these merge buttons just fine and are some of the most successful projects around...

We should free maintainers from work, who already give their time for free, even if that means putting more burden of the guys who contribute.
In any case Github is lowering the contribution barrier a lot compared to Launchpad.

So I would say if a PR is clean, let's jut allow to merge it with that merge button or git merge.

Now, if a PR is not clean,
then we still have 2 choices to avoid doing ugly merges:
1) ask the contributor to squash or rebase or clean in anyway

Yes please, rebase is the best AFAIK to keep clean PRs, here we are working too with edX and that project has a good wiki about rebase https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/How-to-Rebase-a-Pull-Request

2) the maintainer does the cleanup himself

Would be better if contributor (PR owner) do it.

A concrete example: last time when I submitted a patch to the Gollum project (derivated from github wiki), the maintainer asked me to squash several commits which I did and which was perfectly fine
He then probably used that merge button. Everybody fine, no maintenance hassle.

Totally agree here.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think, after reading carefully, that this is more important than it seems.
> By increasing the number of project, it's important that such rule are
> given, even if not a constraint for now. But at least we should let people
> now about.
>
> So I'm in favor of writing this in the docs and howto's. Committers should
> now that IMO.
>
> Improving the quality is one of our goal, even if not applicable eveytime by
> lack of time, it should be our goal.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Pedro.
>>
>> It is a "good to have" but I think we can just pull locally test and then
>> push.
>>
>> If you do this process recommended it ia good too! But IMHO Not the rule
>> for now.
>>
>> Be careful! The pr button is dangerous without a correct CIS configured.
>>
>> Written from my android
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2014 3:16 PM, "Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have to set new contributing HowTos for working with GitHub, and this
>>> article points out some troubles with Merge PR button, but the way it says
>>> to merge PR can be very laborious for maintainers. Can we assume this amount
>>> of extra work? One of the highlights we talk about when the switch to GitHub
>>> was the Merge PR button.
>>>
>>> Regards.

> camptocamp
> INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
> BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>
> Joël Grand-Guillaume
> Division Manager
> Business Solutions

> www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Leonardo "LeartS" Donelli
On rebase vs pull requests, this is a good read: http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/10/git-team-workflows-merge-or-rebase/
Notice the difference between rebase as local cleanup and rebase as team policy.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think, after reading carefully, that this is more important than it seems.
> By increasing the number of project, it's important that such rule are
> given, even if not a constraint for now. But at least we should let people
> now about.
>
> So I'm in favor of writing this in the docs and howto's. Committers should
> now that IMO.
>
> Improving the quality is one of our goal, even if not applicable eveytime by
> lack of time, it should be our goal.
>

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 12:05 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Pedro.
>>
>> It is a "good to have" but I think we can just pull locally test and then
>> push.
>>
>> If you do this process recommended it ia good too! But IMHO Not the rule
>> for now.
>>
>> Be careful! The pr button is dangerous without a correct CIS configured.
>>
>> Written from my android
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2014 3:16 PM, "Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have to set new contributing HowTos for working with GitHub, and this
>>> article points out some troubles with Merge PR button, but the way it says
>>> to merge PR can be very laborious for maintainers. Can we assume this amount
>>> of extra work? One of the highlights we talk about when the switch to GitHub
>>> was the Merge PR button.
>>>
>>> Regards.

> camptocamp
> INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
> BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>
> Joël Grand-Guillaume
> Division Manager
> Business Solutions

> www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Nhomar Hernández

Yes please, rebase is the best AFAIK to keep clean PRs, here we are working too with edX and that project has a good wiki about rebase https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/How-to-Rebase-a-Pull-Request

Really thanks Cristian, it helps me to understand the issue and solution better.

#confesion -- after be a sayayin on bzr I feel like a fool with git.

It is like we were fighting Karate and we need to learn Kung Fu ;-)

Well, welcome the Matrix, We will learn Kung FU ;-)

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
+58-414-4110269
Skype: nhomar00
Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve
Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com
Linux-Counter: 467724
Correos:
twitter @nhomar

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes please, rebase is the best AFAIK to keep clean PRs, here we are working too with edX and that project has a good wiki about rebase https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/How-to-Rebase-a-Pull-Request

Really thanks Cristian, it helps me to understand the issue and solution better.

#confesion -- after be a sayayin on bzr I feel like a fool with git.

It is like we were fighting Karate and we need to learn Kung Fu ;-)

Well, welcome the Matrix, We will learn Kung FU ;-)

Your welcome :-)

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Nhomar Hernández <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes please, rebase is the best AFAIK to keep clean PRs, here we are working too with edX and that project has a good wiki about rebase https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/wiki/How-to-Rebase-a-Pull-Request

Really thanks Cristian, it helps me to understand the issue and solution better.

#confesion -- after be a sayayin on bzr I feel like a fool with git.

It is like we were fighting Karate and we need to learn Kung Fu ;-)

Well, welcome the Matrix, We will learn Kung FU ;-)

Also guys,

don't forget this excellent reference learning material for git:

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

Re: [Openerp-community] "Merge pull request" considered harmful

Daniel Reis (SECURITAS SA)-3
[offtopic]:

> don't forget this excellent reference learning material for git:
> http://git-man-page-generator.lokaltog.net/

Out of curiosity, in case you're wondering how these generators work,
they're based on Markov chains
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain):
- based on the original docs you build a statistical matrix for
probability of "x" word to be followed by "y" word.
- you then use it for a random walk jumping from a word to the next,
building the fake docs in the process.

It can be a very fun programming experiment.

/DR