[Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

123

[Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Antony Lesuisse (OpenERP)
The new api is now merged and the 8.0 branch has been pushed on github. Most
of the performance issues we had with the new api are now fixed and the speed
is roughly the same. We should see improvements as we move on to convert the
whole codebase to the new api (less switches from v8 <-> old).

We are currently migrating to the new branch (internally and on the saas).
Here is a list of things still to do:

- exporting translations
- rename in a backward compatible way openerp -> odoo
- fix the packaging
- fix apps instalation
- fix bugs that we will discover while migrating our online userbase

Once this is done we will publish the new packages. In the mean time you may
already start your development on v8 as the database schema and api is now
frozen. We might break it if we find a huge problem that requires an api or
schema change, but this is unlikely.

I want to congratulate my team, the Odoo RD, for the tremendous work they did
on this release.

I also want to thank the community for their contributions, feedback and their
trust.

There was a lot of changes the last two months. I think the results are
overwhelmingly positive. Many of you have already noticed, since the github
switch, patches are processed much more quickly and we are able to keep the
rhythm. We plan to continue improving the contribution process.

This is just a short email, olivier will keep your informed more verbosely.

Dont hesitate to give your feedback or ask questions.

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

David Arnold - El Alemán
Hello Antony

thanks for the update. I saw some time ago, that as of a push on 29.06. there have been improvements on the tax engine. As Fabien stated, this will be a focus in the moeht to come and there will even be codes prints hosted on that.

Probably you already heard about south american tax jusrisdiction. We tried in a colombian local initiative to cosnolidat the concepts into some kind of "common ring of abstraction". I think the basic concepts we applied to find a solution for the problems is quite reusable and I might be interested in promoting convergence on that.

It should be working although there are many improvements yet to be done. (GUI, NOT Operator on criteria, Child Rules, Test cases, code rewiev, demo data, ...)

Please have a look: https://github.com/odoo-colombia/odoo_advanced_tax_engine , SaaS-5, ignore the readme, account_fiscal_allocation_rule is the parent module that calls it's dependencies and will you get something working.

Thanks for your comments

Best
David

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Josef Kaser
Hi Antony,

what does this mean for the release date of v8? It's quite clear that it was not released on July 7th...

Regards
Josef

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Raphael Valyi
Hello,

if people remember correctly how it went for v7: is was "officially released" on December 21th of 2012, the date announced 3 months before. But then, during the first 4 months of v7,  during 2103, there have been A LOT of bug fixes and very often some fixes had to be hacky for the whole release life cycle just because of the "no schema change" dogma (res.partner thing, anyone?).

So I would say, please let's don't be dogmatic about a release date. It's bad to be 6 months late on release schedule (as it was for v7 initially announced much earlier), but it's much better to be a little late and have early adopter test deeply and report bugs and contribute fixes before freezing things for 18 months. So please no pressure to release exactly on date. Some good complex projects do 6 RC's before declaring something stable and there is no magic, unless you have a test coverage of 100% with very clear specifications (which we don't have), it's about the only way to have something both "stable" and usable for later.

Also, in the future, I would love to see more loose coupling in the Odoo components so that core stuff can have a stable slow release cycle (like the server, the ORM, the API, the base module, even the account module...) while innovative stuff like the web_* modules would have their chance to evolve without freezing for 18 months in some immature state and without either changing along with things that third parties (localizations, verticals etc..) would expect stable enough to be sustainable both as a business or as a final user.

Regards and kudo for v8 so far.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 1:19 PM, Josef Kaser <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Antony,

what does this mean for the release date of v8? It's quite clear that it was not released on July 7th...

Regards
Josef

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Nhomar Hernández

So I would say, please let's don't be dogmatic about a release date. It's bad to be 6 months late on release schedule (as it was for v7 initially announced much earlier), but it's much better to be a little late and have early adopter test deeply and report bugs and contribute fixes before freezing things for 18 months. So please no pressure to release exactly on date. Some good complex projects do 6 RC's before declaring something stable and there is no magic, unless you have a test coverage of 100% with very clear specifications (which we don't have), it's about the only way to have something both "stable" and usable for later.

Agreed 100% with Raph.

- This release can be seen as "RC-2" for v8.0 (the merge of new API).
- I hope we can test the new API too making some migrations of our own modules to avoid what we live in v5 (do you remember, bad views parsing, incomplete orm, slow property fields and so on?, new incomplete fetures).

Then KUDOS for thsi pre-release, and for the tag for us it is excellent (at least for me) ;-)

Regards.

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
+58-414-4110269
Skype: nhomar00
Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve
Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com
Linux-Counter: 467724
Correos:
twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Nhomar Hernández

Also, in the future, I would love to see more loose coupling in the Odoo components so that core stuff can have a stable slow release cycle (like the server, the ORM, the API, the base module, even the account module...) while innovative stuff like the web_* modules would have their chance to evolve without freezing for 18 months in some immature state and without either changing along with things that third parties (localizations, verticals etc..) would expect stable enough to be sustainable both as a business or as a final user.

I wonder what should be a correct procedure for this, because, when we develop a web_module we depend of the stability of the web_api too!, then a customization done can be totally broken for a change on this, and OK! you will not lose data ever, but, the system can be impossible to use.

Just thinkinig aloud!

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
+58-414-4110269
Skype: nhomar00
Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve
Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com
Linux-Counter: 467724
Correos:
twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Eric Caudal - www.elico-corp.com
8/8 for v8 seems a very lucky date in China for a successful launch ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_%28number%29#As_a_lucky_number

Let's make sure that we get a stable version first though!

Eric CAUDAL
Eric Caudal
CEO
--
Elico Corporation, Shanghai branch
Odoo Premium Certified Training Partner

Elico Corp is best Partner Odoo 2014 for Asia-Pacific
Remember: with version 8, OpenERP becomes Odoo!
Elico
          Corp Odoo
          Silver Partner

[...]

We merged some last schema and api changes:

- in crm, rename type and channel to the google analytic terminology we now have:

crm.tracking.campain (old type)
crm.tracking.source
crm.tracking.medium (old channel)

with a mixin to save those fields on crm.lead and sale.order. This is required
to track google adwords campains on lead generation and e-commerce shopping carts.

- on purchase.order chaging the date into a datetime (not sure it's merged yet).

- remove the "any type" field from the new api.

I left report_webkit but we will only merge bugfixes in 8.0 and i will remove
it from master soon, along with the rml report engine.

Simon is working on the packaging, the setup/package.py will allow anyone
under linux to build the tgz, deb (for debian stable), rpm (for Redhat 7 or
Centos 7) and even the exe (using wine). MacOS X packaging is also planned.
The goal is to improve those packages to get them accepted in the various
linux distributions (debian first).

The rest is only bugfixes.

We are still migrating internally, I will keep you posted about our migration,
once our migration is done we will migrate the saas and allow new user to
create database on 8.0.

Then we will bless the packages and tag the release.

You can already safely start working on 8.0, 90% of the diff from v7 to v8 has
already been battle tested on our saas, only the new api and wms may still
have bugs. So the stabilization period will be much shorter compared to v7.

We wait for your feedback.

On 07/08/2014 08:00 PM, Nhomar Hernández wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     So I would say, please let's don't be dogmatic about a release date. It's
>     bad to be 6 months late on release schedule (as it was for v7 initially
>     announced much earlier), but it's much better to be a little late and have
>     early adopter test deeply and report bugs and contribute fixes before
>     freezing things for 18 months. So please no pressure to release exactly on
>     date. Some good complex projects do 6 RC's before declaring something
>     stable and there is no magic, unless you have a test coverage of 100% with
>     very clear specifications (which we don't have), it's about the only way
>     to have something both "stable" and usable for later.
>

> Agreed 100% with Raph.
>
> - This release can be seen as "RC-2" for v8.0 (the merge of new API).
> - I hope we can test the new API too making some migrations of our own modules
> to avoid what we live in v5 (do you remember, bad views parsing, incomplete
> orm, slow property fields and so on?, new incomplete fetures).
>
> Then KUDOS for thsi pre-release, and for the tag for us it is excellent (at
> least for me) ;-)
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> --------------------
> Saludos Cordiales
>
> Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
> +58-414-4110269
> Skype: nhomar00
> Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve <http://geronimo.com.ve/>
> Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com <http://vauxoo.com/>
> Linux-Counter: 467724
> Correos:
> twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Nhomar Hernández

with a mixin to save those fields on crm.lead and sale.order. This is required to track google adwords campains on lead generation and e-commerce shopping carts.

- on purchase.order chaging the date into a datetime (not sure it's merged yet).

If you put [hidden email] datetime for electronic invoicing, I will bless you all my life ;-)
We have 4 years dealing with a monkey patch + change 1 file for 3 localizations ;-)

I can make a PR+tests if you tell me you will approve this change.

FYI, merged or not, We must do that, than it can be better merged obviously.

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Antony Lesuisse (OpenERP)
Do a PR but i'm not sure because an invoice, as a legal document, should have
a date (not depending of a timzezone) and it's numbering should be sequencial
(no gaps). Whereas a PO is a internal document that can have a timestamp and
holes in it's numbering.

On 07/09/2014 03:59 AM, Nhomar Hernández wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>

>     with a mixin to save those fields on crm.lead and sale.order. This is
>     required to track google adwords campains on lead generation and
>     e-commerce shopping carts.
>
>     - on purchase.order chaging the date into a datetime (not sure it's merged
>     yet).
>

> If you put [hidden email] datetime for electronic invoicing, I will
> bless you all my life ;-)
> We have 4 years dealing with a monkey patch + change 1 file for 3
> localizations ;-)
>
> I can make a PR+tests if you tell me you will approve this change.
>
> FYI, merged or not, We must do that, than it can be better merged obviously.
>
> [1]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp-mexico-maintainer/openerp-mexico-localization/trunk/view/head:/l10n_mx_invoice_datetime/account_invoice_view.xml
> [2]
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp-mexico-maintainer/openerp-mexico-localization/trunk/view/head:/l10n_mx_invoice_datetime/invoice.py
>
> --
> --------------------
> Saludos Cordiales
>
> Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
> +58-414-4110269
> Skype: nhomar00
> Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve <http://geronimo.com.ve/>
> Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com <http://vauxoo.com/>
> Linux-Counter: 467724
> Correos:
> twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Josef Kaser

OK, thanks for pointing this out, but I don’t agree. July 7th was announced as the official release date of v8. Nobody, neither Fabien nor Antony or anyone else, did mention this release to be a RC or a pre-release. An official release is an official release, not a RC. So far for the dogmatic part…

It would be no problem if there would be a roadmap with the release dates for RC[1..x] and for the official release, and if the roadmap’s deadlines would be met.

Please see it from the partners’ and from the customers’ perspective:

-          partners may lose potential (and maybe even existing) customers because they (the partners) relied on the announced release date

-          customers, especially in the targeted SME market, want to have confidence in their software vendors; if they don’t have they will look for alternatives, and then they are lost for odoo for the next five to ten years

Of course it is one of the most important things to deliver a stable and feature rich software. But it is not good if there are being raised expectations that are not being fulfilled in the end.

Just my 2 cents…

Regards

Josef

--

Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. (FH)

Josef Kaser

BUSINESS SOLUTIONS

Consultant

inoX-tech GmbH

Gutenbergstr. 8

94036 Passau

Tel: +49 851 987 797 68

Fax: +49 851 987 797 99

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.inoX-tech.de

Registergericht Passau, HRB 6539, Ust-ID: DE814925313

Geschäftsführung: Michael Döderlein

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Denis Karataev
Josef is right!

We already answered to all our customers about release date that it's 7 July. On this date I had many (not happy) questions, why they don't see any announcement about v8 on Odoo website.

[...]

Yannick Buron-2
While I agree that promising a date without keeping it may put us in a unpleasant situation with some customers, I suggest to not put too much pressure on Odoo SA and let them time to make this right.

As Raphael said, one error in database schema and we will have big problems during the whole V8 duration. There is no sense to want to hold the release date at all cost, some customers may not understand that but ultimately this is for their good.

That said, for the next releases I am also in favor for using RC as most of the open-source projects, this will be far more comfortable and will avoid such reactions from customers.

Kuddos for the work and the api release.
Yannick.

Le 09/07/2014 10:42, Denis Karataev a écrit :
[...]

Kurt Haselwimmer
<base href="x-msg://1913/">++1 Josef

I agree entirely with Josed. If Odoo cannot dealing with the pressure of launching products when they say they will then 1) they should not make those launch statements and 2) they should not be suprised if customers do not put their faith in a software company which might be running all of their (the customer's) operations. Seriously - who thinks that any sane customer would take such a risk.

Kurt

Hi,

[...]

Luis Panozzo
Hi, all ...
Having been in the software industry for many years I have to concur with Josef.
Credibility is the one asset that everyone should strive for and it has to be built as a never-ending effort.
Of course that software quality is paramount but it is not accompanied by a coherent eco-environment it may become a moot issue.
OpenERP is competing against very powerful contenders and all of them can -and will- use every single tool in their arsenal to belittle our product. We should not give them additional ammunition at least.
A constantly moving release date looks amateurish and gives a sense of lack of guidance, one of the main elements used by the MS or Oracle´s of the world to battle open source and community efforts.
(But -to be frank- many proprietary software company miss their dates, too)
So it is best to be a bit more conservative rather than overly aggressive in the setting of dates, investing the necessary resources to make them realistic. And then to keep them.
I rest my case.

Luis Panozzo (Lp)
Technology Manager
Elmatica AS
[hidden email]

On 9 July 2014 10:37, Josef Kaser <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B49%20851%20987%20797%2068" value="+4985198779768" target="_blank">+49 851 987 797 68

Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%20851%20987%20797%2099" value="+4985198779799" target="_blank">+49 851 987 797 99

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.inoX-tech.de

Registergericht Passau, HRB 6539, Ust-ID: DE814925313

Geschäftsführung: Michael Döderlein

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Luis Panozzo
Hello, everyone ...
One week has passed from the original touted release (or availability date).
I have not heard or seen of any new date.
Someone inside of Odoo said it would happen within this month.
Does anyone have a more accurate estimated date of general availability of V8?
Maybe we are going from the San Fermin date (7/7) to the Chinese lucky day: 8/8?
Thank you in advance
Lp

PS: Vive la France!!!!!

Luis Panozzo (Lp)
Technology Manager
Elmatica AS
[hidden email]

On 9 July 2014 11:08, Luis Panozzo <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mario Arias
Hi Antony,

A friend asked me to create an instance in free odoo SaaS.
Everything installed fine, but at the end I noticed it was created using saas-3...

Aren't SaaS users supossedly on Saas-5 by now ?

Regards,
-Mario

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

David Arnold - El Alemán
I observed the same some days ago. It changed from one hour to another...

Re: [Openerp-community] new api, v8 release

Mario Arias
We did, but just got the answer.  And it is not too comfortable...