[Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

[Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Colin MacMillan

Dear OpenERP community,

We have developed a new and enhanced version of account_voucher.

Please download, install, and test.

This module has a number of additional features:

- speed - on_change has been replaced with a button for retrieving open lines

- ergonomics - the layout and ability to select lines with a tick box makes the screen very easy to use

- the new approach is not top-down, but bottom-up in design which is more intuitive for the operator.  Total appears at the bottom.

- credit and invoice lines appear in different colours on the same list which is more logical

- fully functional multi-currency - has already undergone heavy testing

- 4 configurable accounts for write-off gain/losses and exchange rate gains/losses

- enhanced cancellation process - fixes error in logic that meant partial payments would be retrospectively unreconciled automatically

Download: https://launchpad.net/enapps-account-voucher

* Do you think this module is good enough for production?

* Would you like to see this module included in 6.1 as certified and supported by OpenERP?

* What other features would you like?

Your comments, feedback, testing are much appreciated.

This module has been installed in a multi-currency client implementation for 2 weeks in production.  Most bugs have been ironed out.  The user guide is part of the module notes.

Please contact us if you have any questions.

Regards

p.s. - the default account installer screen is not working yet as this development was just introduced last night.  You will need to configure your write-off and exchange rate gain/loss accounts manually in the Company record as described in the user guide.

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Davide Corio - agilebg.com

On 18/nov/2011, at 13:15, Colin MacMillan wrote:

> Dear OpenERP community,
>

> We have developed a new and enhanced version of account_voucher.
>
> Please download, install, and test.

Hi Colin,

i've just download and tested your addon.

i'm facing some issues but i guess this depends on the different localization.
i'll delve into this asap.

anyway, i really like your approach.

the things i like the most are:

1. selection of the lines to pay
2. exchange rate gains/losses

thank you very much for your contribution

--
Davide Corio

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Colin MacMillan
Hi Davide,

Superb, thank you for the feedback and testing.  We would like to know what issues you are facing due to your localisation so it can be corrected.

Reply with further details when you have time.

Colin

On 18 November 2011 14:13, Davide Corio <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 18/nov/2011, at 13:15, Colin MacMillan wrote:

> Dear OpenERP community,
>

> We have developed a new and enhanced version of account_voucher.
>
> Please download, install, and test.

Hi Colin,

i've just download and tested your addon.

i'm facing some issues but i guess this depends on the different localization.
i'll delve into this asap.

anyway, i really like your approach.

the things i like the most are:

1. selection of the lines to pay
2. exchange rate gains/losses

thank you very much for your contribution

--
Davide Corio

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Olivier Dony (OpenERP)
On 11/18/2011 01:15 PM, Colin MacMillan wrote:

> This module has a number of additional features:
>
> - speed - on_change has been replaced with a button for retrieving open
> lines
>
> - ergonomics - the layout and ability to select lines with a tick box
> makes the screen very easy to use
>
> - the new approach is not top-down, but bottom-up in design which is
> more intuitive for the operator.  Total appears at the bottom.
>
> - credit and invoice lines appear in different colours on the same list
> which is more logical
>
> - fully functional multi-currency - has already undergone heavy testing
>
> - 4 configurable accounts for write-off gain/losses and exchange rate
> gains/losses
>
> - enhanced cancellation process - fixes error in logic that meant
> partial payments would be retrospectively unreconciled automatically

Great job, your module seems to work nicely and introduces interesting
ideas.

One question pops immediately: why not building it as an extension of
the original account_voucher module, instead of duplicating the
functionality?

I did not check thoroughly, but it seems you copied enough of the
original account_voucher module to stay compatible with the rest of the
system. So presumably this could also be achieved with an inheriting
module, possibly after refactoring some parts of the core that are
currently hard to inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to
know how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route,
imagining your module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you
see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you
use when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Colin MacMillan
Hi Olivier, glad to hear you have tested the module.  The inheritance
approach was looked at but we decided against it ... perhaps we will
review it now as this is a good idea.

Regarding the testing, we tested it with our own scenarios and also got
help from other openerp partners.  The module is in 8 different live
implementations all using multi-currency so we are happy with the
accuracy.  To be honest I've not yet work out how to do YAML tests and it
is very technical and can I say 'geeky'.  Personally I'd rather use a
spreadsheet with figures I know are correct, then test this out on a
system manually.

We are keeping an eye on the 6.1 version which is much better for
multi-currency but still varies significantly from a usability standpoint.

Your viewpoints are appreciated.

Regards
Colin

> [...]

presumably this could also be achieved with an inheriting module, possibly
after refactoring some parts of the core that are currently hard to
inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Att.:
--
Vinicius Dittgen
Proge Informática

Seja um voluntário
www.centrorepensar.com.br
Centro especializado em Deficiência Intelectual, Autismo, Síndrome de Down e Dificuldade de Aprendizagem

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Frédéric Clementi
We already had the opportunity to tell you but this is an excellent job guys.

I really like the usability (check boxes, paid amount at the bottom) and the speed ! At the moment, performance is lacking on today standard voucher.

I would add that the few test I have done shows correct figures.

One thing though (I cannot only say that you are great !)... the exchange rate difference between the real bank rate and the OpenERP rate goes to write-off... in my view it should go to the currency difference amount. What do you think?

Frédéric CLEMENTI
Business Solutions
Camptocamp SA
Tel : + 41 (0)21 619 1041
http://www.camptocamp.com
[hidden email]

> [...]

inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Raphael Valyi
Hello guys,

We didn't had a chance to test it yet.
However, I would like to mention that here in Brazil we manage the payments of all our implementations with the "account_payment_extension" extra addons module instead of the account_voucher module.
If I'm correct, account_payment_extension inherits some parts of account_voucher or at least calls some of its methods.
We would also like to mention that we ported account_payment_extension from 6.0 extra addons branch to trunk (eg 6.1) extra addons branch.

Yes the extra addons branch is un-manageable and unscalable, but IMHO we still need such a central place for common modules and instead we would need people (including the important ones) to be more responsible before pushing any non generic module here, this way we could have that branch limited to a decent set of very common modules.

It would be interesting to see using your module would as a base would be better than account_voucher. I have no idea at his stage.

Also, I very much prefer a module tested by specialists where other experts can have a chance to commit some changes and not only once a year a best. Be free from any single vendor licensing catch is also appreciable IMHO.
If you still have a chance to propose changes in account_voucher for 6.1 and make your module an extension of it, that would probably be better though.

Regards and thanks for the work!

2011/11/23 Frédéric Clementi <[hidden email]>
We already had the opportunity to tell you but this is an excellent job guys.

I really like the usability (check boxes, paid amount at the bottom) and the speed ! At the moment, performance is lacking on today standard voucher.

I would add that the few test I have done shows correct figures.

One thing though (I cannot only say that you are great !)... the exchange rate difference between the real bank rate and the OpenERP rate goes to write-off... in my view it should go to the currency difference amount. What do you think?

Frédéric CLEMENTI
Business Solutions
Camptocamp SA
Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2041%20%280%2921%20619%201041" value="+41216191041" target="_blank">+ 41 (0)21 619 1041
http://www.camptocamp.com
[hidden email]

> [...]

inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Hi Frederic,

Yes thank you for your testing it was very helpful back in the closed beta.  :)

Regarding the exchange rate diff comment - in the latest commit you can choose to which account to post, it is not locked down anymore.  We wanted to introduce one more user variable where the end user can enter the bank charges in addition to the total (great minds think alike), but that is planned for future release – now we were concerned with the usability, stability and performance.

Kind regards

On 11/18/2011 01:15 PM, Colin MacMillan wrote:
> This module has a number of additional features:
>
> - speed - on_change has been replaced with a button for retrieving
> open lines
>
> - ergonomics - the layout and ability to select lines with a tick box
> makes the screen very easy to use
>
> - the new approach is not top-down, but bottom-up in design which is
> more intuitive for the operator.  Total appears at the bottom.
>
> - credit and invoice lines appear in different colours on the same
> list which is more logical
>
> - fully functional multi-currency - has already undergone heavy
> testing
>
> - 4 configurable accounts for write-off gain/losses and exchange rate
> gains/losses
>
> - enhanced cancellation process - fixes error in logic that meant
> partial payments would be retrospectively unreconciled automatically

Great job, your module seems to work nicely and introduces interesting
ideas.

One question pops immediately: why not building it as an extension of the
original account_voucher module, instead of duplicating the functionality?

I did not check thoroughly, but it seems you copied enough of the original
account_voucher module to stay compatible with the rest of the system. So
presumably this could also be achieved with an inheriting module, possibly
after refactoring some parts of the core that are currently hard to
inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Colin MacMillan

Hi Raphael,  thanks for the feedback I was not aware of this module account_payment_extension but will have a look.

Agreed re the extra addons branch, I wonder how we can better managed community contributions however apps.openerp.com looks to be the solution.

Making our module an extension of the existing account_voucher will probably involve a lot of rewriting so I haven’t decided if we can go down this route yet.

Look forward to your comments once you get some time for testing.

Regards

Colin

[...]

Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2041%20%280%2921%20619%201041" target="_blank">+ 41 (0)21 619 1041

http://www.camptocamp.com

[hidden email]

> [...]

inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Additional note:

account_voucher_extension has been essentially developed by the Spanish localization leaders and I believe this is what they are mostly using in Spain. May be some could comment.
However, it's good to know that due to mismatch with some OpenERP SA policies, a large part of those historical leaders, that is NaNTic and Zikzakmedia already told they are going Tryton for the future...
But I believe account_voucher_extension is however pretty mature already and here in Brazil we are likely to keep using it until better appears (may be your module, we will see).

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Colin MacMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Raphael,  thanks for the feedback I was not aware of this module account_payment_extension but will have a look.

Agreed re the extra addons branch, I wonder how we can better managed community contributions however apps.openerp.com looks to be the solution.

Making our module an extension of the existing account_voucher will probably involve a lot of rewriting so I haven’t decided if we can go down this route yet.

Look forward to your comments once you get some time for testing.

Regards

Colin

On 11/18/2011 01:15 PM, Colin MacMillan wrote:
> This module has a number of additional features:
>
> - speed - on_change has been replaced with a button for retrieving
> open lines
>
> - ergonomics - the layout and ability to select lines with a tick box
> makes the screen very easy to use
>
> - the new approach is not top-down, but bottom-up in design which is
> more intuitive for the operator.  Total appears at the bottom.
>
> - credit and invoice lines appear in different colours on the same
> list which is more logical
>
> - fully functional multi-currency - has already undergone heavy
> testing
>
> - 4 configurable accounts for write-off gain/losses and exchange rate
> gains/losses
>
> - enhanced cancellation process - fixes error in logic that meant
> partial payments would be retrospectively unreconciled automatically

Great job, your module seems to work nicely and introduces interesting
ideas.

One question pops immediately: why not building it as an extension of the
original account_voucher module, instead of duplicating the functionality?

I did not check thoroughly, but it seems you copied enough of the original
account_voucher module to stay compatible with the rest of the system. So
presumably this could also be achieved with an inheriting module, possibly
after refactoring some parts of the core that are currently hard to
inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Eric Caudal - www.elico-corp.com
Hi,
I could test it partially and like the look & feel. I was usually using account_payment_extension which is very flexible and works properly with currencies (we have this pending annoying bug that I never will be able to explain to my users... : https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/887483). I could switch to this module if we can get it work with web client.
A pity about NaNTic and Zikzakmedia as they really provided powerful modules to the community...
Regards
Eric CAUDAL
openerp
Eric CAUDAL, CEO
[hidden email]
Cell: + 86 186 2136 1670
Elico Corp - OpenERP Ready Partner, Shanghai.
http://www.openerp.net.cn

On 23/11/2011 22:41, Raphael Valyi wrote:
[...]

Tel : <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="tel:%2B%2041%20%280%2921%20619%201041" target="_blank">+ 41 (0)21 619 1041

http://www.camptocamp.com

[hidden email]

> [...]

inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Well, I haven't been testing acount_payement_extension for a while but as far as I remember, this module does not calculate exchange rate difference nor allow you to post write off nor do a partial payment... am I wrong?

Frédéric CLEMENTI
Business Solutions
Camptocamp SA
Tel : + 41 (0)21 619 1041
http://www.camptocamp.com
[hidden email]

2011/11/24 Eric Caudal <[hidden email]>
Hi,
I could test it partially and like the look & feel. I was usually using account_payment_extension which is very flexible and works properly with currencies (we have this pending annoying bug that I never will be able to explain to my users... : https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/887483). I could switch to this module if we can get it work with web client.
A pity about NaNTic and Zikzakmedia as they really provided powerful modules to the community...
Regards

openerp
Eric CAUDAL, CEO
[hidden email]
Cell: <a href="tel:%2B%2086%20186%202136%201670" value="+8618621361670" target="_blank">+ 86 186 2136 1670
> [...]

inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] new account_voucher available now

Jerzy Orłowski
Hi, I am testing your version and I get

"View error

Can't find field 'voucher_id' in the following view parts composing the view of object model 'account.bank.statement':
 * account.bank.statement.voucher.tree.inherit
 * account.bank.statement.voucher.form.inherit

Either you wrongly customized this view, or some modules bringing those views are not compatible with your current data model"

Did you check, how your  module works with bank statements or maybe I am missing something?

On 23.11.2011 11:38, Frédéric Clementi wrote:
> [...]

presumably this could also be achieved with an inheriting module, possibly
after refactoring some parts of the core that are currently hard to
inherit, and fixing any remaining bugs.
Your module would then be compatible with the official ones, simply
providing a variation on the workflow and screens of the original
account_voucher.

I suppose you have tried both approaches, so I would be interested to know
how hard you think it would be to go the inheriting route, imagining your
module as "account_voucher_alternative_layout", if you see what I mean.

BTW, did you compare your module with the trunk/6.1 version of
account_voucher, or only with 6.0?

And one last question, if I may: there do not seem to be any YAML
scenarios/test in the source of your module, so what strategy did you use
when you say it "has already undergone heavy testing"?

Pozdrawiam serdecznie,

Jerzy Orłowski

Lacan Technologies Group
Członek Zarządu ds. technologii
Al. Stanów Zjednoczonych 53
04-028 Warszawa
tel. +48 (22) 266 01 02
tel. +48 (22) 292 16 16
kom. 668 151 245
www.lacan.com.pl
www.erpsystems.com.pl
www.serwerownie.com

Lacan Technologies Sp. z o.o. Sąd Rejonowy dla m.st. Warszawy w Warszawie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, KRS: 0000319673, NIP: 521-351-01-01

Kapitał zakładowy: 50.000 PLN