[Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

[Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Mario Arias
Hi,

How should we proceed to keep webkit reports alive?

I reported one problem in official odoo, and also saw another pull request that enabled custom paper size for webkit reports, and both were rejected...

I understand the reasons, but there is still a problem / necessity open...

Is any new official repository for webkit reports, or should we keep changes and fixes for ourselves...

Could they fit OCA if updated as new modules instead of patches to current webkit_report module ?

Regards,
-Mario

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Hi, Mario,

While report_webkit is in core, the solution to merge patches that Odoo refuses to put is OCB. When module deprecates, OCA can host it under its umbrella and proceed like any other OCA module.

Regards.

How should we proceed to keep webkit reports alive?

I reported one problem in official odoo, and also saw another pull request that enabled custom paper size for webkit reports, and both were rejected...

I understand the reasons, but there is still a problem / necessity open...

Is any new official repository for webkit reports, or should we keep changes and fixes for ourselves...

Could they fit OCA if updated as new modules instead of patches to current webkit_report module ?

Regards,
-Mario

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Lionel Sausin
Hi,
The situation here is :
- merge proposal for report_webkit have been ignored by the R&D team until after 7.0
- R&D now accepts pull requests more willingly, but 8.0 is frozen so no feature will go in
- pull requests for master will also be refused because report_wekbit is removed
- OCA's backport branch "OCB" won't help us either because, since the features are refused in master, they would not be "backports" but new features.

So, it's a bit absurd but I'm afraid we're deadlocked until at least v9 is released.
Unless maybe OCA can make an exception by accepting new features for deprecated modules?
Lionel

Le 20/09/2014 01:33, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero a écrit :
Hi, Mario,

While report_webkit is in core, the solution to merge patches that Odoo refuses to put is OCB. When module deprecates, OCA can host it under its umbrella and proceed like any other OCA module.

Regards.

How should we proceed to keep webkit reports alive?

I reported one problem in official odoo, and also saw another pull request that enabled custom paper size for webkit reports, and both were rejected...

I understand the reasons, but there is still a problem / necessity open...

Is any new official repository for webkit reports, or should we keep changes and fixes for ourselves...

Could they fit OCA if updated as new modules instead of patches to current webkit_report module ?

Regards,
-Mario

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
On 21/09/2014 17:02, Lionel Sausin wrote:
Hi,
The situation here is :
- merge proposal for report_webkit have been ignored by the R&D team until after 7.0
- R&D now accepts pull requests more willingly, but 8.0 is frozen so no feature will go in
- pull requests for master will also be refused because report_wekbit is removed
- OCA's backport branch "OCB" won't help us either because, since the features are refused in master, they would not be "backports" but new features.

So, it's a bit absurd but I'm afraid we're deadlocked until at least v9 is released.
Unless maybe OCA can make an exception by accepting new features for deprecated modules?
Lionel

I'm not willing to do that, because I'm concerned we will get issues with some addons breaking with OCB / Official and not with the other one.

The proper way of handling this would be to propose an *addon* to OCA adding the papersize feature / report with no margin.

Then you can install that addon or not, depending on your needs, and not break anything.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Lionel, this is how I see the situation:
  • When you proposed the addition of the custom paper size in OCB, reviewers said to you to first try to include the change in core trunk (future 8.0), to avoid having a DB layout change.
  • As you have said, R&D has refused the change in v8 because is too late, and v9 is not going to include report_webkit.
  • In this situation, OCB can consider again to include in 8.0 OCB the change, because it has not been never going to be included by OpenERP S. A. It's not the first time we introduce a DB layout change (like the one changing the way decimal precision is calculated in invoices), but this kind of changes must be meditated a lot.
  • When report_webkit will be exiliated from core, OCA can start from OCB version instead the core one.

Regards.

[...]

[Openerp-community] Webkit Reports (and other deprecated modules) future

Lionel Sausin
Le 22/09/2014 08:58, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
> The proper way of handling this would be to propose an *addon* to OCA
> adding the papersize feature / report with no margin.
We tried that and it's a mess too. The original code is not modular, so
that makes big chunks of copy-paste for every 2 line patches, and the
modules won't even be compatible with each other.

So I see no other choice but to fork (and it's OK too). I can see 3 ways
we can do it:
1/ each of us maintains his own branch until after v9 (current situation)
2/ we share a single module called "report_webkit_community" that will
host a complete copy/paste of the official module, and which replaces
all the standard objects at runtime (inherit without calling super() )
3/ we make a feature-branch to host all our patches - those who want to
use it can merge it on their own instance. If hosted by OCA, it could be
be something like OCB/7.0-feature-base_report_webkit. Would OCA be
willing to bear the burden of reviewing PRs on this branch - and the
probable others regarding document_ftp, project_long_term, ... ? Then
OCB would become "Odoo Comunity Branches" :)

Lionel.

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports (and other deprecated modules) future

Houssine BAKKALI
I'm voting for option 3 as we may think that bug fixes will still be merged on v8

so for feature modules AFAIK is the way we already do.

[...]

Markus Schneider
Hi Lionel,

we also have this papersize problem on one project. Just want to print
label from label printer.

And i totally agree sometime a new module is nice. But some time it mean
you have copy&paste of the original module, than you can make better a fork.
So in this case the "no new feature to stable" policy is stupid. In this
case not all parameter of webkit are not supported from the python
class. Adding this breaks nothing, has no risk for other installation
but make the live easy for the few people needing it.

I m not happy to maintain my own branch but at the moment OpenERP S.A.
force it.

Markus

On 22.09.2014 09:47, Lionel Sausin wrote:

> Le 22/09/2014 08:58, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
>> The proper way of handling this would be to propose an *addon* to OCA
>> adding the papersize feature / report with no margin.
> We tried that and it's a mess too. The original code is not modular, so
> that makes big chunks of copy-paste for every 2 line patches, and the
> modules won't even be compatible with each other.
>
> So I see no other choice but to fork (and it's OK too). I can see 3 ways
> we can do it:
> 1/ each of us maintains his own branch until after v9 (current situation)
> 2/ we share a single module called "report_webkit_community" that will
> host a complete copy/paste of the official module, and which replaces
> all the standard objects at runtime (inherit without calling super() )
> 3/ we make a feature-branch to host all our patches - those who want to
> use it can merge it on their own instance. If hosted by OCA, it could be
> be something like OCB/7.0-feature-base_report_webkit. Would OCA be
> willing to bear the burden of reviewing PRs on this branch - and the
> probable others regarding document_ftp, project_long_term, ... ? Then
> OCB would become "Odoo Comunity Branches" :)
>
> Lionel.

Dipl.-Comp.-Math. Markus Schneider
Softwareentwickler

initOS GmbH & Co. KG
An der Eisenbahn 1
21224 Rosengarten

Mobil:   +49 (0)172 2303699
Phone:   +49 (0)4105 5615613
Fax:     +49 (0)4105 5615610

Email:   [hidden email]
Web:     http://www.initos.com

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl. Wirt.-Inf. Frederik Kramer & Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Torsten Francke
Haftende Gesellschafterin: initOS Verwaltungs GmbH

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Rosengarten – Klecken
Amtsgericht Tostedt, HRA 201840
USt-IdNr: DE 275698169
Steuer-Nr: 15/205/21402

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
On 21/09/2014 17:02, Lionel Sausin wrote:
Hi,
The situation here is :
- merge proposal for report_webkit have been ignored by the R&D team until after 7.0
- R&D now accepts pull requests more willingly, but 8.0 is frozen so no feature will go in
- pull requests for master will also be refused because report_wekbit is removed
- OCA's backport branch "OCB" won't help us either because, since the features are refused in master, they would not be "backports" but new features.

I've thought about this a bit more, and I think, given the nature of the changes which are mentioned in the 2 original PR, this could make it to OCB. The rules are a bit hazy here, and certainly less strict than the ones in official odoo. We do have some changes in there which were later rejected in official...

I suggest you push a PR on the OCB branches, where they will be examined and discussed (and eventually accepted or rejected). It will certainly cost less than maintaining your own fork.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : + 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Mario Arias
At least for the zero margins one, reason for rejection was that this would break existing reports for templates that are relying on defaults...
This can be fixed by running a one time update to current templates, replacing 0 with actual defaults from wkhtmltopdf...  Problem is that a module update could eventually restore values to 0 for there templates...

How could this be included in the PR ?

Regards,
-Mario

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Alexandre Fayolle <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2033%20%280%294%2079%2026%2057%2094" value="+33479265794" target="_blank">+ 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Webkit Reports future...

Mario Arias

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Alexandre Fayolle <[hidden email]> wrote:
maybe a migration script ensuring the changing of defaults? Or maybe you
could have a checkbox saying 'use 0cm margin'?

I guess second option is safer, as eventually we will not know if a report really wants 0 margins or is expecting defaults...
Reports that really want this new feature will "opt-in"...

Unless there is a better suggestion, will go this route on the PR.

Regards,
-Mario