[Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

[Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Nicolas Bessi - Camptocamp
Dear community,

In order to avoid multiple sterile debate on Github and unilateral commits,
community should define a new guideline about the usage of new API.
Should it be a prerequisite when proposing addons port or new addons on OCA project for v8 and above?

It would be nice if OCA board can organize a poll on this topic.

My two cents

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Bessi
Senior ERP consultant

Camptocamp SA
PSE A
CH-1015 Lausanne

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Bidoul, Stéphane
Hello Nicolas,

In my opinion, there is no urgency to mandate porting existing modules to the new API.

In the short to medium term I see benefits to keeping modules compatible / similar between 7.0 and 8.0 branches.

Same argument for new modules that start their life on the 7.0 branch.

Best regards,

-sbi

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 8:14 AM, Nicolas Bessi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear community,

In order to avoid multiple sterile debate on Github and unilateral commits,
community should define a new guideline about the usage of new API.
Should it be a prerequisite when proposing addons port or new addons on OCA project for v8 and above?

It would be nice if OCA board can organize a poll on this topic.

My two cents

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Bessi
Senior ERP consultant
Business Solution technical manager

Camptocamp SA
PSE A
CH-1015 Lausanne

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Holger Brunn

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
On 12/08/2014 09:57, Holger Brunn wrote:

> > Should it be a prerequisite when proposing addons port or new
> > addons on OCA project for v8 and above?
>
> New addons for v8: Yes, but I think that's a non-issue because people
> will be eager to use it anyways
> Ported addons: No, as I'd expect this to slow down porting efforts.
> And it's a non-trivial change, so I'd prefer to have a running version
> in the first place and migrating the API afterward.

I tend to agree with Holger.

IMO it is more important to improve test coverage than to port to the
new API.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Sandy Carter (http://www.savoirfairelinux.com)
Le 2014-08-12 05:21, Alexandre Fayolle a écrit :
> IMO it is more important to improve test coverage than to port to the
> new API.

Absolutely, increasing coverage is the best way to avoid regressions
when reimplementing, such as coverting from one API to another.

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

David Arnold - El Alemán
+1 for test coverage

1. I anyone willing to write (in his limited time) a tutorial to be understodd by everyone?
2. We could maka a general call to test cases as kind of a season topic, probably...
3. Accordingly we should implement proper monitoring (!!!) coveralls.io , etc.
4. Once we have this, we have a garant for stability
5. We also have an important marketing argument!

Test case coverage core and oca is a nightmare :)
I personally am struggeling with the first hurdel (lack of know-how)

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Nhomar Hernández

+1 for test coverage

1. I anyone willing to write (in his limited time) a tutorial to be understodd by everyone?

Theorically I recommend you read first Unit testing pure python, after that a little of theory of TDD.... then .... it will become obvious (almost) how odoo works.

At these level, the documentations here IMHO is enought to start with.

2. We could maka a general call to test cases as kind of a season topic, probably...

This general call is a "continuous call", if you achieve 1, and you propose your bugs as this, thats a "test case" well done. But it is so time consuming a test can take from you as much time as develop a feature.

3. Accordingly we should implement proper monitoring (!!!) coveralls.io , etc.

It is already implemented, check some OCA modules.

4. Once we have this, we have a garant for stability

No, that's not true you have a "better" garant of stalbility, all variants never will be covered totally, but for sure 200 better.

5. We also have an important marketing argument!

Did you tried "runbot"¿?

Test case coverage core and oca is a nightmare :)

Yes and no, we have way far beyond 2 years ago, as I said it is a continous job.

I personally am struggeling with the first hurdel (lack of know-how)

Normal... all of we pass for that feeling ;-)

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
+58-414-4110269
Skype: nhomar00
Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve
Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com
Linux-Counter: 467724
Correos:
twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

David Arnold - El Alemán
@nhmar, thans for your comments

but should be writing test cases as simple as talking to you in plain english? And shouldn't we try every effort to get to this?
You know I have more ideas thant means and knowledge of implementing them, but I think, tools (and probably institutionalized and marketed (sic!) routines) are missing to effectively inject the test coverage notion into th ecosystem (not only developer space)...

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

eLBatti

I agree

Il giorno 12/ago/2014 11:29, "Alexandre Fayolle" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On 12/08/2014 09:57, Holger Brunn wrote:
> > Should it be a prerequisite when proposing addons port or new
> > addons on OCA project for v8 and above?
>
> New addons for v8: Yes, but I think that's a non-issue because people
> will be eager to use it anyways
> Ported addons: No, as I'd expect this to slow down porting efforts.
> And it's a non-trivial change, so I'd prefer to have a running version
> in the first place and migrating the API afterward.

I tend to agree with Holger.

IMO it is more important to improve test coverage than to port to the
new API.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2033%20%280%294%2079%2026%2057%2094" value="+33479265794">+ 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Nhomar Hernández

but should be writing test cases as simple as talking to you in plain english? And shouldn't we try every effort to get to this?

THat's the deal, yeas plain english is enought, but you need understand conceptually some things to not generate noise asking for conceptually wrong test cases.

You know I have more ideas thant means and knowledge of implementing them, but I think, tools (and probably institutionalized and marketed (sic!) routines) are missing to effectively inject the test coverage notion into th ecosystem (not only developer space)...

No they are not (AFAICK), we have unittest2 and yaml. (the first one is quite standard on python word).

--
--------------------
Saludos Cordiales

Nhomar G. Hernandez M.
+58-414-4110269
Skype: nhomar00
Web-Blog: http://geronimo.com.ve
Servicios IT: http://vauxoo.com
Linux-Counter: 467724
Correos:
twitter @nhomar

Re: [Openerp-community] Use of new odoo API when porting OCA addons

Sandy Carter (http://www.savoirfairelinux.com)
It's been done already:

https://github.com/nbessi/odoo_new_api_guideline