[Openerp-community] Translating "Cancel" invoice

[Openerp-community] Translating "Cancel" invoice

Viktor Nagy
hi,

I would like to find a solution to a translation problem. The problem is relatively simple: One option on the cancel/refund invoice wizard is to choose an invoice type "Cancel". Actually, there are languages where Cancel invoice and Cancel button can not be translated with the same string, but both words are present in the account addon.

The obvious solution to this seems to rewrite the "Cancel" option for invoice to "Cancel Invoice" for example, as this string could be easily translated. But this would break all existing (and I guess working) translations. Is there an accepted way to correct bugs like this?

Viktor

Re: [Openerp-community] Translating "Cancel" invoice

P. Christeas
On Tuesday 08 November 2011, Viktor Nagy wrote:

> hi,
>
> I would like to find a solution to a translation problem. The problem is
> relatively simple: One option on the cancel/refund invoice wizard is to
> choose an invoice type "Cancel". Actually, there are languages where Cancel
> invoice and Cancel button can not be translated with the same string, but
> both words are present in the account addon.
>
> The obvious solution to this seems to rewrite the "Cancel" option for
> invoice to "Cancel Invoice" for example, as this string could be easily
> translated. But this would break all existing (and I guess working)
> translations. Is there an accepted way to correct bugs like this?

Well, IMHO, not at a "stable" release. Such string changes would belong to
"feature" releases, where language teams are given a window of time to adapt
their translations.

There was a thought of using the "context" feature/marker, as described in GNU
gettext, to disambiguate such cases: eg. have Cancel/@verb, Cancel@/state
Cancel/@operation , fed to translators on different entries.

--
Say NO to spam and viruses. Stop using Microsoft Windows!