[Openerp-community] Question about 6.1 workflow documentation

[Openerp-community] Question about 6.1 workflow documentation

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
Hello everyone,

I'm still reading the documentation, with focus on the 6.1 branch and
trying to improve it on the way.

I've stumbled upon the two warnings on
http://doc.openerp.com/v6.1/developer/07_workflows.html#flow-start
saying that the flow_start and flow_stop attributes should not be used
with a false value as it can lead to problems with "some tiny versions".

While I think that the warning is important, and was probably written
after someone got bitten hard by this "feature", I have the impression
that it may be severely outdated, and that it could be safely removed.
At the very least, it could well deserve some additional information
about which versions exhibit the feature. Are there any tiny ERP
old-timers around who could fill me in on that topic? I'll take care of
amending the documentation.

Thanks in advance

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Question about 6.1 workflow documentation

On 23/03/2012 11:58, Alexandre Fayolle wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm still reading the documentation, with focus on the 6.1 branch and
> trying to improve it on the way.
>
> I've stumbled upon the two warnings on
> http://doc.openerp.com/v6.1/developer/07_workflows.html#flow-start
> saying that the flow_start and flow_stop attributes should not be used
> with a false value as it can lead to problems with "some tiny versions".
>
> While I think that the warning is important, and was probably written
> after someone got bitten hard by this "feature", I have the impression
> that it may be severely outdated, and that it could be safely removed.
> At the very least, it could well deserve some additional information
> about which versions exhibit the feature. Are there any tiny ERP
> old-timers around who could fill me in on that topic? I'll take care of
> amending the documentation.

After reading again, what I understand of the issue is that the problem
exists for any boolean attribute, because using <field
name='whatever'>False</field> produces an attribute named 'whatever' and
a value of True (because the string "False" evaluates to True in
Python). And this should be the case for all versions of OpenERP, unless
I've missed the special case handling in the XML parser.

In that case, the correct way to fix the documentation is to show the
correct syntax, which is:

<field name='whatever' eval='False' />

and maybe to rewarn about the danger of using the other notation.

Any opinion on that topic is welcome.