[Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

[Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Nicoleta Gherlea

Hello everyone,

We are excited to announce the agenda of the OpenDays 2012, the OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit which will take place on April 11th and 12th and will be followed by one day dedicated to partners on April 13th.

We know that many of you travel from far away to attend this event and we wanted to really make it worth for you. So, for this edition we have put together a special agenda.
  • Discover what's planned for 6.2. Fabien will present a demo of the key features, the new user interfaces and enhanced social features
  • Choose from over 23 training tutorial sessions. You will have a chance to learn more how to customize the new web client, how to optimize the infrastructure to run OpenERP and many other subjects from our developers’ track.
  • Discover key contributions from other partners and members of the community. We still have room for more presentations from the community so if you would like to share some developments you are proud of, please reply to this email.
  • Meet the OpenERP team including Fabien Pinckears (CEO), Antony Lessuise,(CTO) and Olivier Dony (Head of community) during some of the open sessions which will take place during the first two days.
  • Attend the OpenERP awards Dinner: A nice way for OpenERP to highlight some key contributions from partners and community member, the OpenERP way of course.
Read more about the agenda and Book your tickets here http://bit.ly/ACyau0

We are looking forward to meeting you in person,
Nicoleta

--
Visit us in April! Exclusive event: OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Nicoleta Gherlea
Channel Marketing, OpenERP Belgium
+32(0)2 290 34 93

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Numérigraphe
Dear Nicoleta Gherlea,
Will there be work sessions where members of the community and the core team could discuss complex functional issues? I don't see any on the agenda.
There have improvements proposed by the community that need to be discussed extensivly, and the Community Days would be the perfect occasion.
For example, we could help organize a work session about partial deliveries. I'm sure there are plenty of other issues worth planning discussions about.
Lionel Sausin.

Le 07/02/2012 13:02, Nicoleta Gherlea a écrit :

[...]

Thanks for your reply.
15 minutes is fine for a demo, but too short for a constructive discussion. For example we've spent the last 10 days analyzing the issue of partial deliveries, so I don't expect decision to be made in less than an hour.

I'm surprised nobody else proposed this because I've seen several merge proposals ending with "let's discuss this at the community days"
Really, we need nothing more than a shared timetable, a person from OpenERP SA, a quiet place and lots of coffee (and that last item is luxury).

Lionel.

Le 22/02/2012 10:18, Nicoleta Gherlea a écrit :
Lionel,

As you can see this time we want to give the opportunity to the community to
speak out about their contributions, case studies, etc.

What I suggest in the current format is that you take a slot among the existing 26.
Most of them have already been taken, but you could have one in the technical side and
maybe present it as a workshop.

Looking forward to your feedback
Thanks, Nicoleta

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Raphael Valyi
Hello,

Let me just weight behind Lionel:
demos and presentations don' really need to monopolize the precious time people have the exceptional opportunity to meet physically: posting a blog post, slides or videos over the Internet is perfectly adapted to demonstrations. Actually doing it directly over the Internet is even better as the audience is just much larger.

Now, there is one thing the OpenERP community is currently inefficient at doing is discussing improvements and change BEFORE doing them. Then we see those situations like slow dashboard by default or EDI email by default or fantasist packaging system where nobody seems to agree with the implemented feature, but too late it has been decided and done unilaterally; the money and effort is already spent doing something sub-optimal. This is that kind of situations we better avoid in the future.
I think this comes a lot from a lack of communication from OpenERP SA. I suggest using those meeting days for debating features and making the right choices rather than spending the days doing demo things we already do perfectly on the Internet. In the future, that would be cool to be able to embrace our time and tools and be able to plan things on the Internet too with OpenERP SA too. In the meanwhile, I hope those community days would be used at their best to make the right choices for the future.

A few topics I would like to be debated:
  • partial pickings refactoring indeed
  • on_change refactoring
  • the role of meta data when propagating fields from records to records (cf Yannick Buron's post)
  • related: opportunities to abstract object relations when one object is created from an other (like have a link to sale order line from procurement, but automatically)
  • the opportunity to introduce the concept of fiscal operations in the base of OpenERP (used in real report_intrastat and Brazilian localization at least)
  • module packaging and shared branches
  • OpenERP throughput performance and computed stored fields: avoid useless computations
  • getting several localization installed on the same OpenERP instance (Akretion does it and uses innovative solutions we would like to discuss)

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM, "Lionel Sausin, de la part de l'équipe informatique Numérigraphe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Davide Corio - agilebg.com
Il 22/02/2012 16:12, Raphael Valyi ha scritto:
> I hope those community days would be used at their best to make the
> right choices for the future.

+1

anyway, demos and use cases are for customers and future partners, and
they're useful of course, so we don't need to change the plans.

But...it would be very useful as well if we can organise other/parallel
tracks for those who re not interested in commercial stuff.

we just need some rooms where meet together and discuss just like in the
last meeting.

cheers,
--
Davide Corio

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Maxime Chambreuil (http://www.savoirfairelinux.com)
From another thread, please add:
  • future of extra-addons
  • quality process for non-certified modules
to the list of community-related topics to discuss.

Thank you.
--
Maxime Chambreuil

Le 22/02/2012 16:12, Raphael Valyi a écrit :
> (...)
> the money and effort is already spent doing something sub-optimal.
That's more or less off-topic, but I'll add that's not only OpenERP SA's
money. Partners and a few independent users like Numérigraphe also spend
money on real R&D (ad hock solutions and quick hacks not included).
Please let me emphasize that directly or indirectly all the money comes
from the users' pockets.
 From a user's point of view, being able to back community R&D means
sharing maintenance costs with others on effective issues, thus lowering
the Total Cost of Ownership.
For OpenERP that means keeping and gaining users in the long run.
> I think this comes a lot from a lack of communication from OpenERP SA.
Well, we all need to improve there : OpenERP SA, partners and users.
One way would be to let expert groups plan their own work agenda during
the community days. Would that be doable?

Lionel Sausin.

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP Community, Customers and Partners Summit 2012

Fabien Pinckaers
Hello,

A quick reply from India.

I fully agree that the community meeting

Sent from my iPhone

On 22 Feb 2012, at 20:42, Raphael Valyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I fully agree that the community meeting must be the opportunity to sync on future developments. A lot of things are easier to do in real life yhan by email.

I do not think there is lots of demo of existing features in the agenda. Nearly everything we want to show and discuss is based on v7.0, the future. We already scheduled everything we want to talk about: useability improvemebts for v7, roadmap, planned framework enhancement, web client architecture evolution, strategy, ...

Instead of having a big generic workshop, it's better that each contributor propose a workshop on his topic that we will put in the agenda.

Most of the talks/workshops must be like this: 2/3 presentation of the proposed solution to everyone, 1/3 discussion on the subject. We also booked a free room for people that want to meet and discuss very specific topics into the details.

There will be 300 participants, so we need conferences on all subjects to explain propositions rather than big workshops with hundreds of participants.

All our teams will be there the 3 days so you will have the opportinity to meet and discuss with everyone of the r&d or partners' contributors. I think that specific discussion must be done between individuals in free rooms.

We can ask each talkers to be free after his presentation to discuss more deeply in a dedicated room, with people that want to go further into the details or who prefer proposing another solution.

We also planned sessions called "meet xyz" where we present nothing but answer/discuss on open topics.

A good idea would be to present every r&d member and their responsibilities so that you can easily find and meet the good guy based on your interrest.

So there are two things during the meeting:
  - detailed presentation of proposed evolutions
  - meeting with people to share ideas and contributions

PS: i would suggest to book your seat asap as places may be limited by the size of the conference room.

See you there,

[...]

Ana Juaristi
Is there any place where we could see a the proposed agenda for event?

I think that both concepts are really interesting. I want to know what is planned to be made by OpenERP on middle future but also would like to know what kind of customized developments are made by now by partners / community people.

I agree with Raphaël that the new developments can be published and announced but I think it's quite difficult being informed about every video, new, information published about OpenERP all over the world so the community and partners day can be an impresive opportunity to have a global vision about the verticals developed by now that could be used for another implementations on same or similar industry by others partners. I liked vey much what I saw and listened last year on those side so I think this year can be even better since partners and community members increased so much and the number of modules developed just duplicated or triplicated comparing last year...

Just my vision:

Ana

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 7:50 AM, "Lionel Sausin, de la part de l'équipe informatique Numérigraphe" <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ana Juaristi Olalde : Personal phone: 677 93 42 59. User/usuario skype: Avanzosc
CEO Avanzosc, S.L : Office phone / Tfono oficina: (+34) 943 02 69 02
www.openerpsite.com

[Openerp-community] Request for a workshop about partial pickings

Numérigraphe
Dear Nicoleta,

Fabien made it clear yesterday that their would be room for longer discussions besides the workshops.
So, I propose to tackle the issue of partial deliveries :
- I would like to make a 15 minutes demo of an alternative procedure for partial moves
- then we'd like to take part in (or animate) a longer discussion on how to improve the standard to meet the communities needs on this topic.
Lionel Sausin.

On 02/21/2012 02:43 PM, "Lionel Sausin, de la part de l'équipe informatique Numérigraphe" wrote:
[...]

Re: [Openerp-community] Request for a workshop about partial pickings

Nicoleta Gherlea
Dear Lionel,

Thank you for your proposal. We will have to investigate how will this work with the
venue we have. Will keep you informed.

Thanks, Nicoleta