[Openerp-community] OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

[Openerp-community] OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

Jonathan Vargas
Hi,

First have all of you a nice new year, I am new at the list.

I plan to start using and testing 6.1. I started with openerp 6.0.3's debian packages, and since then some questions arose with new 6.1 version:

1. Is it safe now to start using 6.1's trunk for production? Or are still critical bugs?
2. I plan to use ubuntu-server 11.10, are the nightly DEB's builds recommended for this?
3. If I want to use trunk version without using DEB's, which software stack/versions/dependencies would I need?
4. Where is an updated install manual for 6.1, server and clients?
5. When 6.1 will be publicily released?
6. When will a newer stable version, greater than 6.1, be released?

Thanks in advance!

--
Jonathan Vargas Rodríguez
Chief Software Developer

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

Olivier Dony (OpenERP)
On 01/10/2012 03:45 AM, Jonathan Vargas wrote:
> First have all of you a nice new year, I am new at the list.

Welcome aboard!

> I plan to start using and testing 6.1. I started with openerp 6.0.3's
> debian packages, and since then some questions arose with new 6.1 version:
>
> 1. Is it safe now to start using 6.1's trunk for production? Or are
> still critical bugs?

There aren't much major bugs left, you can see the list for yourself on
the bugtracker. 6.1 is pretty much ready for release candidate, we're
polishing some final details and can expect an RC very soon.

> 2. I plan to use ubuntu-server 11.10, are the nightly DEB's builds
> recommended for this?

Sure, but the nightly deb builds are quite new, so there might still be
some minor glitches. We'd appreciate any testing/feedback you can
provide, here or on the bugtracker.

> 3. If I want to use trunk version without using DEB's, which software
> stack/versions/dependencies would I need?

The dependencies for 6.1 are almost the same as those listed for 6.0 on
our install doc: any OS (as long as Python 2.6+ and PostgreSQL 8.3+ are
supported), and a certain number of Python dependencies, as listed on
[1,2,3]. 6.1 changes the minimum Python version from 2.5 to 2.6 and adds
a few additional dependencies, I think mostly the following:
- web: python-werkzeug
- server/addons: python-openid, python-babel, python-vatnumber

You can have a look at the server's setup.py[4] to see the full list of
dependencies. Some are only needed if you install specific addons.

> 4. Where is an updated install manual for 6.1, server and clients?

It should be in the 6.1 version of our documentation, but that has not
been updated yet[5]. If you'd like to contribute, the documentation is
editable by anyone[6] ;-)

> 5. When 6.1 will be publicily released?

RC1 is due very soon (days rather than weeks), and the final version can
be expected a few weeks after RC1, depending on the amount of bugs
detected. So that would mean early 2012 for the final 6.1..

> 6. When will a newer stable version, greater than 6.1, be released?

The roadmap has not been precisely defined yet. The current release
cycle is explained in the documentation[7], but it is likely to need
some updates for next version.

Have a nice day!

[1] Server deps:
http://doc.openerp.com/install/linux/server/index.html#installing-the-required-packages
[2] Client deps:
http://doc.openerp.com/install/linux/client/index.html#installing-the-required-packages
[3] Web deps:
http://doc.openerp.com/install/linux/web/index.html#installing-the-required-packages
[4]
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openerp/openobject-server/trunk/view/head:/setup.py#L86
[5] http://doc.openerp.com/v6.1/install
[6] https://launchpad.net/openobject-doc
[7] http://doc.openerp.com/contribute/14_release_cycle.html

Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP 6.1 software stack and startup resources

Jonathan Vargas
Thank you so much Olivier.

I took a look at bugs in 6.0.3, for example, and I noticed that there are several bugs, but all of them are "Fix Released".

Where did these bug fixes go, to the same version where they appeared, or the next released version? The "Version" field in bugs represent the fix version or the bug's version?

And, in case I want to submit a new bug, is there some kind of util for version and environment gattering to attach its info as part of the bug?

If I am not sure if something is a real bug or a miss-configuration issue still not detected, where should I ask first? forums, lp:answers, lp:bugs, this community list?

I would like to join and make a effective use of the community resources.

Thanks in advance for that.

2012/1/10 Olivier Dony <[hidden email]>
> [...]

You can have a look at the server's setup.py[4] to see the full list of
dependencies. Some are only needed if you install specific addons.

> 4. Where is an updated install manual for 6.1, server and clients?

It should be in the 6.1 version of our documentation, but that has not
been updated yet[5]. If you'd like to contribute, the documentation is
editable by anyone[6] ;-)

> 5. When 6.1 will be publicily released?

RC1 is due very soon (days rather than weeks), and the final version can
be expected a few weeks after RC1, depending on the amount of bugs
detected. So that would mean early 2012 for the final 6.1..

> 6. When will a newer stable version, greater than 6.1, be released?

The roadmap has not been precisely defined yet. The current release
cycle is explained in the documentation[7], but it is likely to need

Dirección Ejecutiva
Alkaid · Tecnología para la gente
Teléfonos: 2248 4378, 8703 1060

On 01/10/2012 03:35 PM, Jonathan Vargas wrote:
> Thank you so much Olivier.
>
> I took a look at bugs in 6.0.3, for example, and I noticed that there
> are several bugs, but all of them are "Fix Released".

Yes this means the bugfix has been validated, merged and is/will be
included in a release. Usually there should also be one comment that
mentions when the bugfix was merged into the official branch.

> Where did these bug fixes go, to the same version where they appeared,
> or the next released version? The "Version" field in bugs represent the
> fix version or the bug's version?

It depends what you mean by "Version" field...

a. If you mean the "Milestone" field that is on the right of the bug
status bar, it indicates the expected version that will contain this
fix. For example bug 913902 [1] is an improvement that is already
included in the "trunk" development version, and will be part of OpenERP
6.1.

b. If you mean the extra "Affects" lines that may appear on bugs that
affect multiple versions, such as bug 794634 [2], these do indeed
indicate that a specific "series" or "branch" is affected by the bug. In
that case each "Affect" line will have its own expected Milestone too.
However in most cases the version at which the bug was detected is
simply indicated in the bug title, e.g [6.0] or [6.0.3].

We don't release patch versions (such as 6.0.4) very often at the moment
(every few months), but it is easy to grab the latest source code of the
corresponding branch, and tarball/binary packages are available on our
nightly build system[3].
Except for the version number, the latest 6.0 nightly builds are
identical to v6.0.4 if we were to release it now, for example.

> And, in case I want to submit a new bug, is there some kind of util for
> version and environment gattering to attach its info as part of the bug?

Not really, but the bug submission page contains a list of the important
details to mention in your bug report. And in case you encounter an
exception while using OpenERP, the error popup normally contains the
error trace and some environment info that you can directly copy/paste
at the end of the bug report.

> If I am not sure if something is a real bug or a miss-configuration
> issue still not detected, where should I ask first? forums, lp:answers,
> lp:bugs, this community list?

Yes, lp:answers, forums, IRC[4] and lp mailing-lists (including this
one) are good places to start.

If you don't get any confirmation one way or another you can eventually
report it as a new bug, the developer handling it will let you know...

> I would like to join and make a effective use of the community resources.

You're doing a good job of it already, apparently! :-)

[1] http://pad.lv/913902
[2] http://pad.lv/794634
[3] http://nightly.openerp.com
[4] http://www.openerp.com/irc/