[Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

[Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Holger Brunn
Ladies and gentlemen being concerned with the bzr->git migration,

we have a rulebook to do the migration, and a rulebook to handle merge (now:
pull) requests. The migration guide is not decisive, but most people including
me do the necessary changes as a PR. which stalls a lot of migrations because
either there's not enough thumbs up or thumbs up with nobody to actually pull
the proposal. Wouldn't it make sense to allow the migrator to do non-reviewed
direct merges of the .* files?

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: [hidden email]
web: http://therp.nl

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Raphael Valyi
Hello Holger,

sorry if that's a dumb question, but could you point to an example of such blocked migration PR so we could make our mind or understand if we are missing something?

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Holger Brunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen being concerned with the bzr->git migration,

we have a rulebook to do the migration, and a rulebook to handle merge (now:
pull) requests. The migration guide is not decisive, but most people including
me do the necessary changes as a PR. which stalls a lot of migrations because
either there's not enough thumbs up or thumbs up with nobody to actually pull
the proposal. Wouldn't it make sense to allow the migrator to do non-reviewed
direct merges of the .* files?

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: [hidden email]
web: http://therp.nl

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Holger Brunn
Of course, there are no dumb questions if posed honestly

> sorry if that's a dumb question, but could you point to an example of such
> blocked migration PR so we could make our mind or understand if we are
> missing something?

https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/1
https://github.com/OCA/banking/pull/1

'blocked' is the wrong word, I chose 'stalled'. After some discussion, people
approve but then nothing happens. That then blocks other PRs on the
{master,7.0,6.1} branches, because you want to have the test and coverage stuff
in place before you merge stuff

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Raphael Valyi
Hum...

so I approved https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/1 as well
as for https://github.com/OCA/banking/pull/1 there are still suggestion to be followed eventually right?

Look, I think the brand change, Github change, Odoo pricing changes and version change is all making us extremely busy (not even counting the numerous companies that will not even manage to make their way to v8) and I apologize for not having more present these last days and I'm sure this is also what happened to some other people.

Also, personally, I tend to do the reviews looking at the project I master or, the last changes in OCA overall, that is unfortunately "First In Last Out", so this may be why these things happen.

I'm not sure how is the state of the nag tooling, but I believe it's not yet adapted to Github, right?

So I suggest you that when you are in such situation you dump the pending PR's here, or to potentially interested people or on Twitter in the wild until we bridge the gap with the nag tooling. So I personally don't encourage for a more loose revision process at this stage though I'm certainly in favor of loosening the thing once we will may elect some coding gurus and have it all checked with Travis at every commit.

Regards and please shout if there are more of such cases pending that you know. Of course this is only my own opinion and I encourage others to express themselves specially if they disagree.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 8:04 PM, Holger Brunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Of course, there are no dumb questions if posed honestly

> sorry if that's a dumb question, but could you point to an example of such
> blocked migration PR so we could make our mind or understand if we are
> missing something?

https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/1
https://github.com/OCA/banking/pull/1

'blocked' is the wrong word, I chose 'stalled'. After some discussion, people
approve but then nothing happens. That then blocks other PRs on the
{master,7.0,6.1} branches, because you want to have the test and coverage stuff
in place before you merge stuff

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Raphael Valyi
As for now, I think we should all bookmark this page and start from here:

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

Guewen Baconnier @ Camptocamp

Le 12 juil. 2014 00:37, "Holger Brunn" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Ladies and gentlemen being concerned with the bzr->git migration,
>
> we have a rulebook to do the migration, and a rulebook to handle merge (now:
> pull) requests. The migration guide is not decisive, but most people including
> me do the necessary changes as a PR. which stalls a lot of migrations because
> either there's not enough thumbs up or thumbs up with nobody to actually pull
> the proposal. Wouldn't it make sense to allow the migrator to do non-reviewed
> direct merges of the .* files?
>
> --
> Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling
>
> Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie
>
> mail: [hidden email]
> web: http://therp.nl

+1
Migration is part of the maintainers role and they should be able to proceed with the migration/maintenance tasks by themselves. This is also a matter of time. The migration is still running and the more long it will take time the more it will be painful and difficult to understand for contributors.

By the way, there are still projects waiting for a maintainer and still maintainers that did nothing on the migration. Thanks to them to put their name on a few projects on the migration spreadsheet.

Cheers

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Daniel Reis (SECURITAS SA)-3
My understanding is that everything in the migration spreadsheet is considered migration work and thus doesn't require PR approvals.

DR

No dia 12/07/2014, às 07:09, Guewen Baconnier <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Le 12 juil. 2014 00:37, "Holger Brunn" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Ladies and gentlemen being concerned with the bzr->git migration,
>
> we have a rulebook to do the migration, and a rulebook to handle merge (now:
> pull) requests. The migration guide is not decisive, but most people including
> me do the necessary changes as a PR. which stalls a lot of migrations because
> either there's not enough thumbs up or thumbs up with nobody to actually pull
> the proposal. Wouldn't it make sense to allow the migrator to do non-reviewed
> direct merges of the .* files?
>
> --
> Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling
>
> Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie
>
> mail: [hidden email]
> web: http://therp.nl

+1
Migration is part of the maintainers role and they should be able to proceed with the migration/maintenance tasks by themselves. This is also a matter of time. The migration is still running and the more long it will take time the more it will be painful and difficult to understand for contributors.

By the way, there are still projects waiting for a maintainer and still maintainers that did nothing on the migration. Thanks to them to put their name on a few projects on the migration spreadsheet.

Cheers

Re: [Openerp-community] [OCA] PRs for standard files on migrations

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
I have no strong voice for any or other approach, becuase it's a nuisance to wait for approvals, but also there are some things that people has catched in the review process (incorrect branch for Travis testing, incomplete README description or flags, etc).

I would bet for something in the middle: make PR, wait reviews for 3 days, and then proceed with the merge.

Regards.