[Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

[Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Alexandre Fayolle - camptocamp
Hello,

I remember this being discussed, but I cannot find the discussion in my
mail archive...

Is someone planning on proposing aeroo reports to OCA/reporting-engine?
If not, I will make PRs to remove all addons depending on aeroo in the
OCA code base.

Best wishes for 2015 to everyone.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Holger Brunn

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Yeah, I was the one that it's going to do it, due to Kaspar Vilkens doesn't want to adhere to OCA. I'll do it next week.

Regards.

On 5/01/2015 9:36 PM, "Alexandre Fayolle" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I remember this being discussed, but I cannot find the discussion in my
mail archive...

Is someone planning on proposing aeroo reports to OCA/reporting-engine?
If not, I will make PRs to remove all addons depending on aeroo in the
OCA code base.

Hi everyone,

I wanted to raise notice here:

https://github.com/OCA/reporting-engine/issues/1 was not well received by sraps / Alistek who is not a member of the OCA.

I don't feel like pushing things at this point and add a new module for our code base for which we would not have a CLA.
I've therefore submitted a PR on hr to remove the modules depending on aeroo: https://github.com/OCA/hr/pull/63

If people care about these reports, now is the time to fork the OCA/hr repository to extract these. We can certainly add a pointer to that new repository so that users will find the new home more easily.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : + 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Well, it's a pity to hear that. I want to push to have Aeroo OCA version forked from sraps, but as CLA is considered important enough, I'm not going to push again.

[...]

Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2033%20%280%294%2079%2026%2057%2094" value="+33479265794" target="_blank">+ 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

On 15/01/2015 09:30, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero wrote:
> Well, it's a pity to hear that. I want to push to have Aeroo OCA
> version forked from sraps, but as CLA is considered important enough,
> I'm not going to push again.

If you push hard enough, you may get through. It would not be the first
module on which the OCA does not have a full CLA, and I won't block a PR
on this ground (but I won't approve it either). Please propose for
merging and let the debate happen.

I personnally don't use aeroo reports, which means I have no incitement
to push forward on this, and I propose a simple resolution. As I feel
I'm maybe not the best placed person to handle this from end to end, I
bring the issue to the mailing list, so that people not closely
following Github are aware of it.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : + 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Stefan Rijnhart (Therp)
On 15-01-15 09:30, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero wrote:
> Well, it's a pity to hear that. I want to push to have Aeroo OCA
> version forked from sraps, but as CLA is considered important enough,
> I'm not going to push again.

While I wished for a community fork of Aeroo many times in the past
because the project was not managed well before, I'd say give Kaspar one
more chance based on this testimonial by Mario Aras:
https://twitter.com/TheCloneMaster/status/555722837496188930

If things go awry, I think just having a community project outside the
OCA for Aeroo and another one for Aeroo related reports might just suffice.

Cheers,
Stefan

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Mario Arias

Aeroo is a great tool, and Alistek has been working hard in making it work for V8, as  S. A.  broke many basic connection points at the core with the API changes....

So Aeroo is alive and Kaspar has been really taking care of feedback from other community members. Please give them a chance and do not close OCA to modules using it....

Regards,
Mario

On 17/01/2015 14:12, Mario Arias wrote:

> Aeroo is a great tool, and Alistek has been working hard in making it
> work for V8, as  S. A.  broke many basic connection points at the core
> with the API changes....
>
> So Aeroo is alive and Kaspar has been really taking care of feedback
> from other community members. Please give them a chance and do not
> close OCA to modules using it....
>
> Regards,
> Mario

Hello Mario,

The question is not whether aeroo reports is alive or not. It's whether
OCA wants to maintain modules with dependencies outside OCA + Official
Addons or not. So far, the answer has been "no". We tried to discuss
including aeroo reports in the core and we were answered that Alistek
don't whish this. My proposal is therefore to remove the "offending"
reports from the OCA addons. Since there are only a handful of such
addons, all in OCA/hr, and I so far have not met much resistance by
actual users of these modules asking for OCA to keep them, I tend to
think that there is not much harm done in their removal.

There are 2 other solutions I can think of:

1.  for Aeroo reports, and maintain that fork inside OCA
2. change the policy

Option 1 sounds like a waste of ressources to me, and option 2 sounds
like an open door to many abuse in the future.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : + 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Joël Grand-Guillaume @ camptocamp
Dear All,

I support Alexandre's vision, we don't want modules inside OCA that depends on modules outside the OCA. The main reasons are the maintainability, and support in time. We cannot guarantee outside modules and so, we must refuse modules that depends on them to ensure a coherence. It's also a matter of right (module outside have no CLA and by then, OCA cannot guarantee them in time). I'm of course in favor of letting Kaspar put his work under the OCA umbrella, but so far he doesn't want to.

So the best option is for me also to remove the modules that depends on Aeroo from OCA. One day things may change, and Kaspar may include his work under the OCA umbrella.

Regards,

Joël

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 8:33 AM, Alexandre Fayolle <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 17/01/2015 14:12, Mario Arias wrote:

> Aeroo is a great tool, and Alistek has been working hard in making it
> work for V8, as  S. A.  broke many basic connection points at the core
> with the API changes....
>
> So Aeroo is alive and Kaspar has been really taking care of feedback
> from other community members. Please give them a chance and do not
> close OCA to modules using it....
>
> Regards,
> Mario

Hello Mario,

The question is not whether aeroo reports is alive or not. It's whether
OCA wants to maintain modules with dependencies outside OCA + Official
Addons or not. So far, the answer has been "no". We tried to discuss
including aeroo reports in the core and we were answered that Alistek
don't whish this. My proposal is therefore to remove the "offending"
reports from the OCA addons. Since there are only a handful of such
addons, all in OCA/hr, and I so far have not met much resistance by
actual users of these modules asking for OCA to keep them, I tend to
think that there is not much harm done in their removal.

There are 2 other solutions I can think of:

1.  for Aeroo reports, and maintain that fork inside OCA
2. change the policy

Option 1 sounds like a waste of ressources to me, and option 2 sounds
like an open door to many abuse in the future.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet
Tel : <a href="tel:%2B%2033%20%280%294%2079%2026%2057%2094" value="+33479265794">+ 33 (0)4 79 26 57 94

Camptocamp France SAS
Savoie Technolac, BP 352
73377 Le Bourget du Lac Cedex
http://www.camptocamp.com

camptocamp
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS

Joël Grand-Guillaume
Division Manager
Business Solutions

+41 21 619 10 28

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Lionel Sausin
I don't have a strong opinion regarding Areoo in particular, but two
blocking point I recall from the author's refusal to join OCA were :
- Aeroo's business model does not fit in the OCA
- Aeroo is only loosely coupled to Odoo and may support other frameworks
So Aeroo's situation may be compared to that of Pentaho (which no-one
suggested we should fork) or RML (which many think Odoo SA should not
have forked).

So, if there is interest maintaining the reports in OCA, you may treat
Aeroo as just another external dependency - maybe move the modules to a
new repository (like the connector projects) ?

Re: [Openerp-community] Maintainers needed for aeroo reports in OCA

Daniel Reis (SECURITAS SA)-3
I sympathize with Lionel's view and arguments.
Personally, I'm not an Aeroo user, but iI think there is no need to
hurry the modules removal before a new home for them is found.
I don't find it an issue for that to be an OCA repo, as long a
maintainer team volunteers to keep it.

/Daniel