[Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

[Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Oscar Alcala
Hello community, I'm currently in the research stage of a feature I would like to add to Odoo, what I want to do is add a search field on each column of the list view, here is an example :Inline image 1

The odoo team already did some improvements on the search Omnibox:
Inline image 2
This is a great feature, but I still think that can it can get better it feels really weird clicking on a dropdown and suddenly seeing a stripe appearing on the top of the list (maybe a search icon on the header will make it more natural), dont get me wrong, current filtering works fine and the Odoo team is focused in making thinks simple, a single search box is a good choice for new users, this is because they are not familiar with the UI, but what about users that know they data?, users that already know the UI, these users need to focus on the data itself, so using live filtering on text boxes on each column header seems to me like a way to go.

Something like this:
Inline image 1

I know it won't apply for all type of fields (Computed, Property and Related), but what about having all fields searchable by default?, It will make the module development process simpler, no need to declare where I can or cannot search.

What do you think about it?
What is the reason why Odoo team does not include this kind of search as a main feature?
Does anybody has done something like this?

I really don't want to start this without your feedback, I might be wrong or not, but your opinion will help me to decide.

Best regards.

--

Oscar Alcalá
+52-312-107-1704 · [hidden email]

Vauxoo SA
vauxoo.com

Wisdom Will Nurse You

 skype  twitter
OpenERP Gold Partner

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Oscar Alca

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Oscar Alcala <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ing. Oscar Alcalá Rivera
312-107-1704 · [hidden email]

Vauxoo SA
Tlf: 3123111122

Open Source Enthusiast

LinuxCounter:566085

   twitter linkedIn   Google+

eco No me imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el medio ambiente

RE: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Falinwa Hans

Hi Oscar,

Odoo has simplify the search box, so it just only have a one searchbox.

That searchbox is work like a google search engine, so when we type something it will tell us the recommendation that we want to search.

Its great for end user which is still new in odoo.

Yes, I got your point about how about the experience user who have already know the old UI, and love it.

That’s why odoo has provided advance search, which we can search by field that we want.

The only disadvantage is we cannot save the advance search template, so each time we must set it what we want to search in advance search.

If you can improved and developed that feature I think it will be enough to handle that problem.

I don’t know how it works with your idea,

Is it when we installed the module, it will automatically add search box on each column in every table,

Or you just provided the tool for developer, so we can add it manually in customize module?

If it the second option, I think it will not really good.

But if it the first option, its worth to try.

Thank You.

Best Regards,

Hans Yonathan

OpenERP Support

FALINWA Limited

Expert in Finance & Business Intelligence

OpenERP Partner

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:47 AM, Oscar Alca <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Oscar Alcala <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello community, I'm currently in the research stage of a feature I would like to add to Odoo, what I want to do is add a search field on each column of the list view, here is an example :Image removed by sender. Inline image 1

The odoo team already did some improvements on the search Omnibox:

Image removed by sender. Inline image 2

[...]

Image removed by sender.

What do you think about it?

What is the reason why Odoo team does not include this kind of search as a main feature?

Does anybody has done something like this?

I really don't want to start this without your feedback, I might be wrong or not, but your opinion will help me to decide.

Best regards.

--

Image removed by sender.

Oscar Alcalá
+52-312-107-1704 · [hidden email]

Vauxoo SA
vauxoo.com

Wisdom Will Nurse You

 Image removed by sender. skype  Image removed by sender. twitter
OpenERP Gold Partner

Image removed by sender.

Ing. Oscar Alcalá Rivera
312-107-1704 · [hidden email]

Vauxoo SA
Tlf: 3123111122

Open Source Enthusiast

LinuxCounter:566085

   Image removed by sender. twitter Image removed by sender. linkedIn   Image removed by sender. Google+

Image removed by sender. ecoNo me imprimas si no es necesario. Protejamos el medio ambiente

--

Image removed by sender.

Oscar Alcalá
+52-312-107-1704 · [hidden email]

Vauxoo SA
vauxoo.com

Wisdom Will Nurse You

 Image removed by sender. skype  Image removed by sender. twitter
OpenERP Gold Partner

NAML

Hans Yonathan
Odoo Support
FALINWA Limited
Expert in Finance & Business Intelligence
Odoo Silver Partner
Website: www.falinwa.com

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

David Arnold - El Alemán
I think your main point is,

people who know their data very well

I think if it is possible to get the same responsiveness as on the linked webpage, this can still save some hours weekly to experienced users.

However, i think omminboxing this idea is fine, i tried on the website to introduce "acc 16" and it shows me the Accountant with A salary of $162.700.
This feels really great! I'd love to see something like this.

If it's well integrated I think this should be adopted as a general core feature, as its perfectly inline with Odoo Usability Strategy.

A cool thing would be if you can specify search pattern in the style of "position:acc salary:16" and very cool if this would work for hidden or inherited fields.
Saved, it can be reused per user or per shared with organization (as currently already possible).

Like this we get closer to the Idea of a really blasting BI implementation. Exporting this search via Export would be a ultimately flexible and intuitive  ad-hoc-reporting tool, but I think integration with the Odoo BI facilites would even be more powerful.

I would use it as of tomorrow, and thats because it's 10 pm :)

----------------------
David Arnold B.A. HSG
Gerente

+57 315 304 1368

​El Alemán S.A.S, Carrera 13 # 93 - 40 P4, Bogotá D.C, Colombia

[...]

OpenERP Silver Partner
Website: www.falinwa.com

Sent from the OpenERP Community mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

David Arnold - El Alemán
for some music of the future ;)

It sounds to me like converging the concepts of Search, BI, Editing, (Ad-Hoc)Reporting into one single pooled concept. This is (would be) awesome!

----------------------
[...]

Olivier Dony (OpenERP)
On 06/18/2014 07:01 PM, Oscar Alcala wrote:

>         The odoo team already did some improvements on the search Omnibox:
>         Inline image 2
>         This is a great feature, but I still think that can it can get better
>         it feels really weird clicking on a dropdown and suddenly seeing a
>         stripe appearing on the top of the list (maybe a search icon on the
>         header will make it more natural), dont get me wrong, current filtering
>         works fine and the Odoo team is focused in making thinks simple, a
>         single search box is a good choice for new users, this is because they
>         are not familiar with the UI, but what about users that know they
>         data?, users that already know the UI, these users need to focus on the
>         data itself, so using live filtering on text boxes on each column
>         header seems to me like a way to go.

Like all UX design choices, it is something naturally subjective, so I can only
give you some hints.

As you know, the omnisearch allows you to do everything from a single place:
- filter using predefined filters (type the name of that filter)
- filter using custom filters (type the name of the custom filter)
- filter on fields that are not visible in the current (list/kanban/graph) view
- filter using smart filters that can execute arbitrary filter expressions,
search on multiple columns at once, etc.
- craft complex filters with advanced search expressions (and save them as
custom filters if needed)
- automatically combine filters with AND or OR operators as required
- toggle pre-defined group-by filters for data analysis
- etc.

This cannot be accomplished with multiple input fields on top of each column,
so experienced users will definitely need to continue using the omnisearch.

But, even the basic "Search field for 'foo'" is just as fast with the
omnisearch. You type "foo" and then use the arrow keys to select
    "Search Name for: foo"
or "Search Status for: foo".
Plus it will try to only auto-complete what makes sense, for example the
suggestion for "Search Status" will only come up if what you typed matches a
possible status.

Based on this, having extra search fields on each column seems like it would
only clutter the interface without bringing any added value.

The main reported problem with the v7 omnisearch is that many2one fields are
autocompleted using an automatic search in the data, which can slow down the
autocompletion in some cases. So for v8 we'll make that search only on-demand,
and the initial pop-up for suggestions will come up instantly all the time.

 From our R&D point of view it seems better to improve the current omnisearch
to make it efficient for both new and experienced users than to introduce more
complexity/clutter in the interface.

>         I know it won't apply for all type of fields (Computed, Property and
>         Related), but what about having all fields searchable by default?, It
>         will make the module development process simpler, no need to declare
>         where I can or cannot search.

As listed above, a search view involves more than just being able to search
each field with "field contains foo", so it is a good idea for the developer to
think about it twice. We could think about pre-populating the search view with
visible fields, but that would make the search view API hybrid and more
complicated.

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Ana Juaristi
Hello everybody:

My feeling is that Oscar's idea would be really usefull for old and new users.
Very simple case of use (now testing projects/tasks) on Odoo:
I want to look for tasks of a single project.
I need doing this actions on screen:

1. click on combo
2. click on advanced search
3. look for field project
4. assing value on field
5. If I save filter, value on field is fixed, so
6. if I want to look for another value/project, I need
7. looking for this filter
8. Change value...

On Oscar's aproach (similar to search views on last version) I just need having project field included on it, so steps are:
1. write project name substring
2. search
3. Needing a new project, type a new name.

That's all

You can see it's much more intuitive usable for end customer be new or old. For me (sincerelly) we lost a lot of usability with this new "one single combo" on searching items.

My 2 cents.

Ana

[...]

From our R&D point of view it seems better to improve the current omnisearch to make it efficient for both new and experienced users than to introduce more complexity/clutter in the interface.

        I know it won't apply for all type of fields (Computed, Property and
        Related), but what about having all fields searchable by default?, It
        will make the module development process simpler, no need to declare
        where I can or cannot search.

As listed above, a search view involves more than just being able to search each field with "field contains foo", so it is a good idea for the developer to think about it twice. We could think about pre-populating the search view with visible fields, but that would make the search view API hybrid and more complicated.

CEO Avanzosc, S.L : Office phone / Tfono oficina: (+34) 943 02 69 02
Ana Juaristi Olalde : Personal phone: 677 93 42 59. User/usuario skype: Avanzosc
www.openerpsite.com

El contenido de esta comunicación y de toda su documentación anexa es confidencial y se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. El uso no autorizado de esta información está prohibido por la legislación vigente. Si usted no es el destinatario le rogamos nos lo indique, no comunique su contenido a terceros y proceda a su destrucción. Disculpe las molestias que le haya ocasionado la recepción indebida de este e-mail. Sus datos figuran en un fichero cuyo titular es Avanzosc, S.L., a quien usted puede dirigirse para ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición en Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), Tef. 943 02 69 02 - [hidden email]

Komunikazio honen edukia eta dokumentazio erantsia konfidentziala da eta hartzaileak bakarrik jaso beharko luke. Indarrean dagoen legeriak debekatu egiten du bertan eskainitako informazioa baimenik gabe erabiltzea. Komunikazioa zuri iritsi bazaizu, baina zu ez bazara hartzailea, mesedez, guri jakinarazi, eta jasotako informazioa ez inori jakinarazi eta suntsitu. Barkatu okerreko email hau jasotzeak eragindako eragozpenak. Zure datuak Avanzosc, S.L. enpresaren fitxategietan sartuta daude. Zure datuak atzitzea eska dezakezu, bai eta, datuak zuzentzea, ezereztea eta tratamenduari aurka egitea ere. Horretarako, enpresara jo dezakezu, helbide honetan: Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), telefonoa: 943 02 69 02 - [hidden email]

This message and all documents attached to it are confidential and intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any use of this information by unauthorised persons is prohibited under current legislation. If you received this message by error, please advise us, destroy it and refrain from communicating its contents to third parties. We apologise for any inconvenience receiving this email improperly may cause to you. Your personal data are included in a file owned by Avanzosc, S.L. If you want to exercise your rights of access, correction, erasure and objection you can contact the Controller at Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), T: 943 02 69 02 – [hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

antonio.sequeira
Ana: +1000

Hi,
this is a very important issue we are struggling for some time.
If we need to do a search with several search values and you need to add more search criteria to refine your search, you can't.
So a search view would be very important.

Regards
António

[...]

From our R&D point of view it seems better to improve the current omnisearch to make it efficient for both new and experienced users than to introduce more complexity/clutter in the interface.

[...]

web: http://www.multibase.pt
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/multibase.portugal
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/company/multibase
twitter: @multibasept

Rua Bernardo Lima, Nº 47 - 6ºEsq - 1150-075 LISBOA
Tel:+351-217921420 - Telemóvel:+351-969033267

CONFIDENCIALIDADE / RESPONSABILIDADE
Esta mensagem pode conter informação confidencial e foi preparada para utilização exclusiva do(s) destinatário(s) supra indicado(s). Informamos que as mensagens enviadas por e-mail não se encontram garantidamente isentas de erros, podendo ser intercetadas, corrompidas, perdidas, ser parcial ou totalmente destruídas, ou mesmo conter vírus. Assim, declinamos qualquer responsabilidade por erros ou omissões no conteúdo das mensagens transmitidas por esta via.

Antes de imprimir esta mensagem pense na sua responsabilidade e compromisso com o MEIO AMBIENTE.

On 06/19/2014 12:21 PM, Ana Juaristi wrote:

> Hello everybody:
>
> My feeling is that Oscar's idea would be really usefull for old and new users.
> Very simple case of use (now testing projects/tasks) on Odoo:
> I want to look for tasks of a single project.
> I need doing this actions on screen:
>
> 1. click on combo
> 2. click on advanced search
> 3. look for field project
> 4. assing value on field

Please, no! The focus is on the omnisearch by default, so just type the name of
the project, then go down with the arrows and select the auto-completed
project. Done.

And if the project field was not part of the search view (it is!) you should
add it, not invent a feature to replace this basic setup ;-)

> 5. If I save filter, value on field is fixed, so

Being able to modify existing filters and existing search facets is a different
feature, and could be done in the omnisearch box as well.

Please do not confuse bad use or bad configuration of the search views with
lack of flexibility or features.
The omnisearch has some limitations that require advanced search (like
specifying date ranges), but in 99% of cases a proper search view will cover
all cases perfectly. Just improve the search view when it's not good enough.

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Ana Juaristi
Hi Olivier... I see now.

So, you are telling that if, for instance, I need finding tasks assigned to an user, and user field is included on filters, same way, if I type the name of the user omnisearch will show a new line with all users matching that name... so, independently what I'm typing it will try to find using any field included on search.

It's OK. I understand now. I did not have that point so it was a little bit extrange and confusing.

 THANK YOU VERY MUCH for explaining.

On 06/19/2014 01:27 PM, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero wrote:
> I agree with Olivier that the way to go if you want to search directly for
> certain field is to include it as a search field on the view, and going down
> with the arrows, but please improve saved filters, recreating in the same form
> as you put originally filters and group by options before saving the filter,
> and not grouping them in one facet. This would be a very huge improvement for
> usability.

Pedro you're right, and we have looked into doing exactly this: restoring the
search state of a saved filter by splitting the criterions into search facets, etc.
The problem is that filters are implemented as a (domain, context) pair in
order to provide the best flexibility. It's great because you can make very
advanced custom filters, but it's a problem if you want to map this to a search
view state, because it's impossible (meaning: not computable)

One option would be to save some sort of extra serialized state of the search
view when you save a custom filter, and attempt to restore it when you use the
saved filter (possibly falling back to the current behavior when it fails).
This is far from trivial but would be very useful indeed.
If anyone wants to work on this, we could discuss it with @xmo-odoo, he
designed the v7 search views.

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

David Arnold - El Alemán
Despite of all details, https://datatables.net/ seems a great NIH-tool.
In some cases I'd prefer disruptive moves over evolution.
I think it's worth taking a closer look at it, not thinking about how the same functionality can be achieved with the concurrent solution, but just admiring the beauty and responsiveness of this benchmark.

look for example at Scroller: https://datatables.net/extensions/scroller/

and type in "acc 16" -> this doesn't work in odoo, the "benchmark-way".

----------------------
[...]

Luc De Meyer

You can have a look to the ‘account_move_line_search_extension’ (community module available from apps.odoo.com) as an example of how to search through a massive amount of journal items in an intuitive way.

Without this small module, some of our customers would simply forget about Odoo and move to other solutions.

Regards,

Luc

www.noviat.com

Rusatiralaan 1, 1083 Brussel

+32 2 808 86 38

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Ray Carnes - Implementation Strategy

This is a return to the 6.1 style, but in this use case I think it works very well – intuitive and less work for the user when applying multiple filters.

Ray.

Re: [Openerp-community] Individual column filtering in Odoo

Ovnicraft

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 6:06 AM, Olivier Dony <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/19/2014 12:21 PM, Ana Juaristi wrote:
Hello everybody:

My feeling is that Oscar's idea would be really usefull for old and new users.
Very simple case of use (now testing projects/tasks) on Odoo:
I want to look for tasks of a single project.
I need doing this actions on screen:

1. click on combo
2. click on advanced search
3. look for field project
4. assing value on field

Please, no! The focus is on the omnisearch by default, so just type the name of the project, then go down with the arrows and select the auto-completed project. Done.

Yes ! its like everyone wants, BTW add fulltext search will be killer. :-)