[Openerp-community] Google Trends

Eric Caudal - www.elico-corp.com
I like to have some time to time a look at google trends and last visit cheered me up a little bit ;)
http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+navision%2Cmicrosoft+dynamics%2C+quickbook&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Basically products like Quickbook and Navision are now behind us and MS Dynamics is not that far away...
If we focus on some opensource software:
http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+openbravo%2C+opentaps%2C+adempiere%2C+compiere%2C+tryton&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

By the way, somebody could enlighten a little bit on how to interpret this information?
(it seems that onlly OE is going upward, which seems to me a little bit strange)

OK now here is the depressing one :):
http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+sage%2C+sap%2C+oracle&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
Still have some road to walk up!

--
Eric CAUDAL
openerp

Re: [Openerp-community] Google Trends

Dominique Chabord
hello

Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time. All
these numbers confirm the rule.
Don't bother with that.
regards

Le 07/01/2012 10:35, Eric Caudal a écrit :

> I like to have some time to time a look at google trends and last visit
> cheered me up a little bit ;)
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+navision%2Cmicrosoft+dynamics%2C+quickbook&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+navision%2Cmicrosoft+dynamics%2C+quickbook&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
> Basically products like Quickbook and Navision are now behind us and MS
> Dynamics is not that far away...
> If we focus on some opensource software:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+openbravo%2C+opentaps%2C+adempiere%2C+compiere%2C+tryton&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+openbravo%2C+opentaps%2C+adempiere%2C+compiere%2C+tryton&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
>
> By the way, somebody could enlighten a little bit on how to interpret
> this information?
> (it seems that onlly OE is going upward, which seems to me a little bit
> strange)
>
> OK now here is the depressing one :):
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+sage%2C+sap%2C+oracle&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+sage%2C+sap%2C+oracle&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
> Still have some road to walk up!
>
> --
>
> openerp
>
> *Eric CAUDAL*, CEO
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Cell: + 86 186 2136 1670. Skype: elico.corp
> *Elico Corp - OpenERP Ready Partner, Shanghai.*
> http://www.openerp.net.cn

Dominique Chabord - SISalp

Re: [Openerp-community] Google Trends

Er. Jay Vora
Nice thread started Eric,
We Would like to add this for Asian market.

openerp, tally, oracle apps, ion, sage
http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+tally%2C+oracle+apps%2C+ion%2C+sage&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

openerp, tally, oracle apps, ion, sap
http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+tally%2C+oracle+apps%2C+ion%2C+sap&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

OpenERP is really has an assured growth.

We see few graphs as this:
Its not that some ERP is growing up,some is growing down. Possibly its local ERPs being strong competitors to global ERPs.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Dominique Chabord <[hidden email]> wrote:
hello

Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time. All
these numbers confirm the rule.
Don't bother with that.
regards

Le 07/01/2012 10:35, Eric Caudal a écrit :
> I like to have some time to time a look at google trends and last visit
> cheered me up a little bit ;)
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+navision%2Cmicrosoft+dynamics%2C+quickbook&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+navision%2Cmicrosoft+dynamics%2C+quickbook&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
> Basically products like Quickbook and Navision are now behind us and MS
> Dynamics is not that far away...
> If we focus on some opensource software:
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+openbravo%2C+opentaps%2C+adempiere%2C+compiere%2C+tryton&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+openbravo%2C+opentaps%2C+adempiere%2C+compiere%2C+tryton&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
>
> By the way, somebody could enlighten a little bit on how to interpret
> this information?
> (it seems that onlly OE is going upward, which seems to me a little bit
> strange)
>
> OK now here is the depressing one :):
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+sage%2C+sap%2C+oracle&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0
> <http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2C+sage%2C+sap%2C+oracle&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0>
> Still have some road to walk up!
>
> --
>
> openerp
>
> *Eric CAUDAL*, CEO
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Cell: <a href="tel:%2B%2086%20186%202136%201670" value="+8618621361670">+ 86 186 2136 1670. Skype: elico.corp
> *Elico Corp - OpenERP Ready Partner, Shanghai.*
> http://www.openerp.net.cn

Dominique Chabord - SISalp

Er. Jay Vora
M : 91 - 9879354457.
(Not miles, just an email away...)
Twitter Facebook LinkedIn Blogger
"No Seconds to be Wasted for Formalities, I have a lot to Execute !" - Jay Vora

Re: [Openerp-community] Google Trends

Olivier Dony (OpenERP)
On 01/07/2012 11:43 AM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
> Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time.
> All these numbers confirm the rule.

As the name indicates, it provides information about search volume
"trends". You also have to select comparable terms, as for example
comparing "OpenERP" with "Oracle" makes little sense if you're
interested in the trends for Enterprise Management software: "Oracle" is
a keyword for hundreds of different products.
And take the results with a grain of salt, they only represent relative
"trends", not raw search volumes.

Read their FAQ for more info:
 http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html

> Le 07/01/2012 10:35, Eric Caudal a écrit :
>> By the way, somebody could enlighten a little bit on how to
>> interpret this information? (it seems that onlly OE is going
>> upward, which seems to me a little bit strange)

Many of the big products target a market that is quite saturated,
therefore their growth potential is much less than that of OpenERP.
This is not directly related to their profit, of course, and you can see
that they're also getting orders of magnitude more actual search volume
than OpenERP (quickbook->quickbookS!), even if that volume doesn't grow
as much in time.

At least this confirms that OpenERP has a continuous growth in terms of
search volume, correlated with the quickly growing number of users and
increasing community and partners network size :-)

Le 09/01/2012 13:19, Olivier Dony a écrit :
> On 01/07/2012 11:43 AM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
>> Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time.
>> All these numbers confirm the rule.
>
> As the name indicates, it provides information about search volume
> "trends".
They are just not credible, imho.
Compare values for Morocco and Tunisia vs France. They hit common sens.

> At least this confirms that OpenERP has a continuous growth in terms of
> search volume,

here too it is not credible.
Fabien showed us a diagram, in which openerp growth appeared because
compared to openbravo collapse. If you got openbravo out of this
picture, the result was far from good. In spring, google trends showed a
10% growth since "openerp" trademark is used. Since day one of the
brand, growth is obviously far better than that.
As an example, number of visits to sisalp.fr grows by more than
100%/year over two last years, so I'm convinced the growth of requests
on openerp is far more than 100%/year because of new geographies
recently covered and brand notoriety expansion.

It's always better to have good metrics rather than bad ones, for sure.
Results from openerp.com logs which count clicks from google search
provide you with far more accurate data, and I'm convinced, far more
optimistic figures.

regards

--
Dominique Chabord - SISalp

Le 09/01/2012 14:13, Nhomar Hernández a écrit :

> Dominique.
>
> I think from the point of view, you are trying to make lose the
> oportunity to use an option of analisys, I'm tottally agreed with Oliver.

I'm not sure Olivier and I say so opposed things. As a general statement
I can agree on what you mention, too.

> See this:
>
> http://www.google.com/trends?q=openerp%2Copenbravo%2Cadempiere
>
> THIS is the trend that Fabien expose since 3 years ago, and you can see
> how is the growth of OpenERP as "SEARCH OPTION", BTW it just say: "Hey,
> a lot of people is looking for Key Word OpenERP and less for OpenBravo
> and Adempiere", nothing more.

> If you take other explanation for this results, or *misinterpret* what
> Fabien said it is problem of the person at the other end of the line.

This never happenned, I don't care about what Fabien said since I never
paid attention to these numbers. I mailed to Fabien at that time
privatly, then he says what he wants.  In my post, I answer to the
question in the original post of this thread, not to a general troll but
I mentionned Fabien because I didn't remember where to get this picture
from and you found it.

Just in case you are curious to play with google trends here are
examples for which I've no explaination:
It is impossible that openerp growth is ONLY 3x what it was in may 2008
and only 50% since march 2009. Real numbers are certainly more than 10x.
Google shows that Openerp was at best stable in 2011, while it obviously
grew in many countries and consequently world-wide.
It is absolutly impossible that Morocco+Tunisia are 10x France and 5x
Belgium, and when you want details for Morocco and Tunisia you just get :
"Your terms - openerp - do not have enough search volume to show graphs."
While Google trends is probably pessimistic on openerp, it doesn't look
better for openbravo:
Kenia comes first for openbravo, a non-spanish speaking country, ~ five
times greater than Spain which is the original country of the project.

Until I get educated on how to find better numbers, I won't comment
success or defeats on Googles trends graphs.

Not sure you disagree. do you ?

--
Dominique Chabord - SISalp

On 01/09/2012 01:55 PM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
>> On 01/07/2012 11:43 AM, Dominique Chabord wrote:
>>> Google trends provides completely absurd results most of the time.

Or perhaps you're misinterpreting them?

> They are just not credible, imho.
> Compare values for Morocco and Tunisia vs France. They hit common sens.

The data is normalized, otherwise this would simply be a list of the
biggest countries (and cities) in the world.

You might really want to read the FAQ, for example questions #9 and #14:
  http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html#9
  http://www.google.com/intl/en/trends/about.html#14

Having a country or city in the top results means that *relatively* to
all other queries in that area, the search term is more frequent than in
other countries/cities.

> As an example, number of visits to sisalp.fr grows by more than
> 100%/year over two last years, so I'm convinced the growth of requests
> on openerp is far more than 100%/year because of new geographies
> recently covered and brand notoriety expansion

Again, we're talking normalized search volume trends, not raw search
traffic nor raw hits on some specific website.

Likewise, 100% growth doesn't mean much on its own. The OpenERP website
gets thousands of unique visitors per day, worldwide. France, despite
being the largest contribution in 2011, only represents 8% of that.
Hence doubling the number of French visitors would only represent an
increase of 4% of the total visits we get.

> It's always better to have good metrics rather than bad ones, for sure.
> Results from openerp.com logs which count clicks from google search
> provide you with far more accurate data, and I'm convinced, far more
> optimistic figures.

Our own web statistics do show similar *relative* values, so the
estimations of Google Trends are relevant enough for us.

Re: [Openerp-community] Google Trends

Dominique Chabord
Thank you for this detail, I better understand.

Le 09/01/2012 19:26, Olivier Dony a écrit :

> Our own web statistics do show similar *relative* values, so the
> estimations of Google Trends are relevant enough for us.

Ok this is the key point. I expected better numbers, but that's ok.
regards

--
Dominique Chabord - SISalp