[Openerp-community] Enterprise Warranty "technical" question.

[Openerp-community] Enterprise Warranty "technical" question.

Alan Lord (Gmail)
Hi all,

We want to provide a "hot standby" backup for one of our customers
(effectively a copy of the system on a different host).

Our idea is to (basically) take a dump of the database each night and
copy it to their standby server (physically different location,
different IP/MAC etc.) so if their main server dies they can still
access their services.

They will will have the Enterprise Warranty. Is this likely to break
anything?

TIA

Al

Re: [Openerp-community] Enterprise Warranty "technical" question.

Sprauer Christian
Hi Alan,

I have recently been in the details of arranging a maintenance contract with Openerp, I suggest you take your question directly your Openerp account manager for commercial aspects, they will be able to clarify things so you are not in "no contracts land". As it's the same db and code it shouldn't be problematic from a pricing perspective.

I am surprised however, with your technical approach as you could loose up to one day of data in case of server crash with this setup. Why didn't you consider clustering db at postgres level ? ( note: we recently had a server power supply crash and got caught by surprise as we have availability penalties in some of our contracts). We started looking into postgres clustering to achieve a 5 min downtime or less in case of server crash, but we are only at the beginning....

I would be happy to hear anyone else views on how to achieve high availability with openerp.

Kind regards,

Christian Sprauer
Railnova CEO, Belgium

On 09/11/11 19:26, Sprauer Christian wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I have recently been in the details of arranging a maintenance contract with Openerp, I suggest you take your question directly your Openerp account manager for commercial aspects, they will be able to clarify things so you are not in "no contracts land". As it's the same db and code it shouldn't be problematic from a pricing perspective.

I don't think our Partner manager will know and I don't want to use up
my customer's warranty time asking this question. I thought it would
have come up before and someone would know if *technically* having a
backup on a separate machine is OK.

> I am surprised however, with your technical approach as you could loose up to one day of data in case of server crash with this setup. Why didn't you consider clustering db at postgres level ? ( note: we recently had a server power supply crash and got caught by surprise as we have availability penalties in some of our contracts). We started looking into postgres clustering to achieve a 5 min downtime or less in case of server crash, but we are only at the beginning....

Yes. we know that.

I'm aware of the various methods of replicating databases but for this
customer a "warm standby" with a "less than 24hr data loss" is perfectly
acceptable to them.

> I would be happy to hear anyone else views on how to achieve high availability with openerp.

This would be a useful discussion - maybe start a new thread Christian?

Thanks

Alan