[Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

[Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Alaney Kilson Dória
Hi all,

We are sending a draft proposal for new field type for OpenERP. This is a draft that all can contribute with the main idea, and we are open to suggestions and feedback.

Best regards
--
ALIEN GROUP LDA

Alaney Dória

CEO

em.[hidden email]

tm.+244 930 073 397 / +244 913 728 600

Código QR

Rua Doutor Agostinho Neto, 156, Bairro Azul, Luanda - Angola, Tel: +244 913 728 600 | +244 913 728 650,
Website: www.alien-group.com, Email: [hidden email]

Não imprima este email caso não seja estritamente necessário. A Terra agradece-lhe!

Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP.pdf (124K) Download Attachment

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Francesco Apruzzese
Il 14/07/2014 09:52, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:
Hi all,

We are sending a draft proposal for new field type for OpenERP. This is a draft that all can contribute with the main idea, and we are open to suggestions and feedback.

Why XML and not JSON?

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Davide Corio-2

On 14 Jul 2014, at 10:09, Francesco Apruzzese <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il 14/07/2014 09:52, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are sending a draft proposal for new field type for OpenERP. This is a draft that all can contribute with the main idea, and we are open to suggestions and feedback.
>>

> Why XML and not JSON?

Akretion implemented something similar for v6 and probably the final goal was the very same

https://www.odoo.com/apps/6.0/base_json_fields

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Guewen Baconnier @ Camptocamp
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Alaney Kilson Dória <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We are sending a draft proposal for new field type for OpenERP. This is a draft that all can contribute with the main idea, and we are open to suggestions and feedback.

That's exactly for what the fields.serialised and fields.sparse are meant for.

--
Guewen Baconnier
Business Solutions Software Developer

Camptocamp SA
PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: +41 21 619 10 39
Office: +41 21 619 10 10
http://www.camptocamp.com/

On 14 Jul 2014, at 10:22, Guewen Baconnier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's exactly for what the fields.serialised and fields.sparse are meant for.

oh, you’re right.

class serialized(_column):
    """ A field able to store an arbitrary python data structure.

        Note: only plain components allowed.
    """

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Alaney Kilson Dória
Well  we don't want to store any python structure, because this is meant to work for client/user. with no technical background.  It would be plain text, it's just metadata.

Why not json? Well because XML is simpler easier, and can allow easy why to manipulate it using web modules to do whatever using xslt. This is made to allow user to add fields but with no impacts to the data structure.

That's exactly for what the fields.serialised and fields.sparse are meant for.

Where is that information?

ALIEN GROUP LDA

Alaney Dória

CEO

em.[hidden email]

tm.+244 925 999 331 | +244 913 728 600

Linkedin Facebook Facebook

On 07/14/2014 09:31 AM, Davide Corio wrote:
On 14 Jul 2014, at 10:22, Guewen Baconnier [hidden email] wrote:
That's exactly for what the fields.serialised and fields.sparse are meant for.
oh, you’re right.

class serialized(_column):
    """ A field able to store an arbitrary python data structure.

        Note: only plain components allowed.
    """

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]
ERP Consultant
L.S. Advanced Software Srl

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Info SHS-AV

Il 14/07/2014 10:22, Guewen Baconnier ha scritto:
On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 9:52 AM, Alaney Kilson Dória <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

We are sending a draft proposal for new field type for OpenERP. This is a draft that all can contribute with the main idea, and we are open to suggestions and feedback.

That's exactly for what the fields.serialised and fields.sparse are meant for.
Yes, it is.
If I undestood, Alaney is proposing a flexible field type ready-to-use which can be dinamically used at run-time.
In its document, the steel product has property which software engineer has not created (i.e. lenght, width, height); in its example, who configures Odoo is able to add these properties without modify source code.

It is an interesting feature, very powerful but may be dangerous too.

--
Guewen Baconnier
Business Solutions Software Developer

Camptocamp SA
PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: +41 21 619 10 39
Office: +41 21 619 10 10
http://www.camptocamp.com/

Antonio M. Vigliotti
(Presidente & Chief Technical Officer)

SHS-AV s.r.l. (impresa innovativa)
zero
incombenze®

Via Domodossola, 64 - 10145 TORINO - ITALY

Tel. (+39) 011.0566929(2)

www.shs-av.com

PEC [hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Alaney Kilson Dória
Yes that's it.

This field is stored by orm in xml schema the user doesn't have any control the way the data is store. This field is just added to the structure to allow the user put their own field. The user field are restricted, and this is the thing I want different opinions regarding what and how would be. For example, should we define a data as "integer", "float", "currency", or just "number". Because user might not know what is the difference.

what we should try to see, is what

Il 14/07/2014 13:31, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:
Yes that's it.

This field is stored by orm in xml schema the user doesn't have any control the way the data is store. This field is just added to the structure to allow the user put their own field. The user field are restricted, and this is the thing I want different opinions regarding what and how would be. For example, should we define a data as "integer", "float", "currency", or just "number". Because user might not know what is the difference.

what we should try to see, is what
May be intersting but we need to limit this feature in order to avoid end user mismatch.
I think may be dangerous use no text data type, expecially python code like eval tag of xml file; I think we do limit node nesting level and, yes, I agree data cannot be related field. Perhaps we could use only text type.
Did you think how these data can be used in report?

On 07/14/2014 12:50 PM, Info SHS-AV wrote:
Il 14/07/2014 13:31, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:
Yes that's it.

This field is stored by orm in xml schema the user doesn't have any control the way the data is store. This field is just added to the structure to allow the user put their own field. The user field are restricted, and this is the thing I want different opinions regarding what and how would be. For example, should we define a data as "integer", "float", "currency", or just "number". Because user might not know what is the difference.

what we should try to see, is what
May be intersting but we need to limit this feature in order to avoid end user mismatch.
Totally agree.  This is what I'm looking for, to improve the paper.
I think may be dangerous use no text data type, expecially python code like eval tag of xml file; I think we do limit node nesting level and, yes, I agree data cannot be related field. Perhaps we could use only text type.
For my point of view, whatever is there will be treated as text. From the point of view of the user  he only see a table on which e can add a field name and it's value. Also the fields are not allow to be used for any kind of operation like add, subs.
Did you think how these data can be used in report?
Good point! that's something to add to the proposal.  Since it's actually a pair (field name, value), assuming that for each tuple, one can have  no metadata, one can have N. We would make this field be only available for loops (repeatIn). The it would be  just for the sake of more control we could do the following where to put the field name and its value:

object.xml_field_name.fieldName: would print all the existing field names,
object.xml_field_name.fieldValue: would print all the existing field values,

This would allow to control where and how I want to put this data. This would not allow indexing, since for each tuple we don't know it's max size. so if there is data it will print all, inside a loop.

Imagine having spec for a car in database, which car is your product with its specs, and at the same time having also a car part with it's own spec.

Also to remember that for form view, the client will not necessarily know field as a name "field  name". It can be like " Property" or "Característic".  I would be adding those ins a widget just as a table, so the user will never write the xml. only the

Furthermore, this field should be searchable

--

Antonio M. Vigliotti
(Presidente & Chief Technical Officer)

SHS-AV s.r.l. (impresa innovativa)
zero
incombenze®

Via Domodossola, 64 - 10145 TORINO - ITALY

Tel. (+39) 011.0566929(2)

www.shs-av.com

PEC [hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Info SHS-AV
+1
Hope some other guy will express its opinion.

Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Il 14/07/2014 14:52, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:

[...]

I'm sending an  updated version with more info added, based on what we discussed here.

On 07/14/2014 01:58 PM, Info SHS-AV wrote:
[...]

Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP.pdf (133K) Download Attachment

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Leonardo Pistone - camptocamp
Hi,

let me expand a bit with what Guewen said (I agree with him).

Configurable attributes and related issues got much attention, one reason being that they are important for e-commerce applications (see OCA project https://github.com/oca/product-attribute )

My advice is, before going any further with new work, give a thorough test starting with module product_custom_attributes on 7.0.

In particular, you can decide to store attributes as normal columns or to serialize all of them as JSON. Furthermore, you can define different attribute sets for each product (i.e. the product shoe has attributes size and color, where the product computer has attributes disk and ram).

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM, Alaney Kilson Dória <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm sending an  updated version with more info added, based on what we discussed here.

Best regards

ALIEN GROUP LDA

Alaney Dória

CEO

em.[hidden email]

tm.<a href="tel:%2B244%20925%20999%20331" value="+244925999331" target="_blank">+244 925 999 331 | <a href="tel:%2B244%20913%20728%20600" value="+244913728600" target="_blank">+244 913 728 600

Linkedin Facebook Facebook
Código QR

Rua Doutor Agostinho Neto, 156, Bairro Azul, Luanda - Angola, Tel: <a href="tel:%2B244%20913%20728%20600" value="+244913728600" target="_blank">+244 913 728 600 | <a href="tel:%2B244%20913%20728%20650" value="+244913728650" target="_blank">+244 913 728 650,
Website: www.alien-group.com, Email: [hidden email]

Não imprima este email caso não seja estritamente necessário. A Terra agradece-lhe!

On 07/14/2014 01:58 PM, Info SHS-AV wrote:
+1
Hope some other guy will express its opinion.

Antonio Maria Vigliotti

Il 14/07/2014 14:52, Alaney Kilson Dória ha scritto:

ALIEN GROUP LDA

Alaney Dória

CEO

em.[hidden email]

tm.+244 925 999 331 | <a href="tel:%2B244%20913%20728%20600" value="+244913728600" target="_blank">+244 913 728 600

Linkedin Facebook Facebook
Código QR

Rua Doutor Agostinho Neto, 156, Bairro Azul, Luanda - Angola, Tel: +244 913 728 600 | <a href="tel:%2B244%20913%20728%20650" value="+244913728650" target="_blank">+244 913 728 650,
[...]

Tel. <a href="tel:%28%2B39%29%20011.0566929" value="+390110566929" target="_blank">(+39) 011.0566929(2)

www.shs-av.com

PEC [hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Alaney Kilson Dória

This is not only for products, its for any object. Product was just an example.
Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Leonardo Pistone - camptocamp
Hi Alaney,

absolutely. If you do give a look to github.com/OCA/product-attribute,
you will find a generic module, base_custom_attributes,
and specific ones for products, partners and lots.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Alaney Doria
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is not only for products, its for any object. Product was just an example.

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Alaney Kilson Dória
Hi Leonardo,

I saw the module, and you are right it's basically the same feature, implemented as related fields. My self already did something similar, the thing is all the work needed, compared to what we propose. This module is even much more elaborated and complex, such us supporting field type etc. We don't want that since lots of users doesn't know what integer and float, or any other data type is. Also because we don't want to make data validation. The idea is to keep it simple for developer and user.

[hidden email] wrote:
This is not only for products, its for any object. Product was just an example.

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Holger Brunn
> field type etc. We don't want that since lots of users doesn't know what
> integer and float, or any other data type is. Also because we don't want
> to make data validation. The idea is to keep it simple for developer and
> user.

why don't you write a widget for fields.serialized that does what you want? If
you make this configurable (pass attribute(s) about what fields you expect,
forms api comes to mind) and extensible, that would be a great contribution I
think.

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: [hidden email]
web: http://therp.nl

Re: [Openerp-community] Draft Proposal for a new field type for OpenERP/Odoo

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
+1.

Create a new field for barely similar things is not productive.

Regards.