[Openerp-community] Documentation V8

David Arnold - El Alemán

Hi OpenERP SA

I'd like to draw your attention on readthedocs.org for a possibility of a very clean and fully git-integrated "tool" for documentation.

If you haven't already evaluated, I would kindly recommend to have a quick look at it for V8 docs.

I like about readthedocs.org that it is very clean, it encurages updating on git, has cool language and version features.
But the main thing is, i think there can't be anything more intuitive and optimized for displaying documentation.

Always worring a bit about usability & elegance,

Thank you & best

David Arnold

----------------------
David Arnold B.A. HSG
Gerente

+57 315 304 1368

​El Alemán S.A.S, Carrera 13 # 93 - 40 P4, Bogotá D.C, Colombia

Re: [Openerp-community] Documentation V8

João Almeida
+1

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 5:41 AM, David Arnold - El Alemán <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi OpenERP SA

I'd like to draw your attention on readthedocs.org for a possibility of a very clean and fully git-integrated "tool" for documentation.

If you haven't already evaluated, I would kindly recommend to have a quick look at it for V8 docs.

I like about readthedocs.org that it is very clean, it encurages updating on git, has cool language and version features.
But the main thing is, i think there can't be anything more intuitive and optimized for displaying documentation.

Always worring a bit about usability & elegance,

Thank you & best

David Arnold

----------------------
David Arnold B.A. HSG
Gerente

​El Alemán S.A.S, Carrera 13 # 93 - 40 P4, Bogotá D.C, Colombia

         (\_/)
     (  =(^Y^)=
  ____\_(m___m)_______

Re: [Openerp-community] Documentation V8

Maxime Chambreuil (http://www.savoirfairelinux.com)
+1 for technical documentation
-1 for functional one

--
Maxime Chambreuil
+1 (514) 276-5468 #126

[...]

Federico Manuel Echeverri Choux

+1

Este correo ha sido enviado desde un dispositivo móvil, disculpa las faltas de ortografía y errores de dedo
----------------------------------
Federico Manuel Echeverri Choux
mobile: (+521) 444-1-400683
Tel: (+52) 444-8185539
skype: echeverrifm
twitter: @echeverrifm

On Jun 16, 2014 10:42 PM, "David Arnold - El Alemán" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I don't dislike functional documentation.

Functional persons should not have to learn git to produce documentation, that's it.
--
Maxime Chambreuil
+1 (514) 276-5468 #126

Not sure why you would dislike functional documentation?

+1 for finally some more useful documentation, don't mind the tool mostly ;)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Maxime Chambreuil <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ana Juaristi
+1 Maxime.

Functional people should use functional tools, not technical ones. Not usable for them/us

[...]

CEO Avanzosc, S.L : Office phone / Tfono oficina: (+34) 943 02 69 02
Ana Juaristi Olalde : Personal phone: 677 93 42 59. User/usuario skype: Avanzosc
www.openerpsite.com

El contenido de esta comunicación y de toda su documentación anexa es confidencial y se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario. El uso no autorizado de esta información está prohibido por la legislación vigente. Si usted no es el destinatario le rogamos nos lo indique, no comunique su contenido a terceros y proceda a su destrucción. Disculpe las molestias que le haya ocasionado la recepción indebida de este e-mail. Sus datos figuran en un fichero cuyo titular es Avanzosc, S.L., a quien usted puede dirigirse para ejercer sus derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición en Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), Tef. 943 02 69 02 - [hidden email]

Komunikazio honen edukia eta dokumentazio erantsia konfidentziala da eta hartzaileak bakarrik jaso beharko luke. Indarrean dagoen legeriak debekatu egiten du bertan eskainitako informazioa baimenik gabe erabiltzea. Komunikazioa zuri iritsi bazaizu, baina zu ez bazara hartzailea, mesedez, guri jakinarazi, eta jasotako informazioa ez inori jakinarazi eta suntsitu. Barkatu okerreko email hau jasotzeak eragindako eragozpenak. Zure datuak Avanzosc, S.L. enpresaren fitxategietan sartuta daude. Zure datuak atzitzea eska dezakezu, bai eta, datuak zuzentzea, ezereztea eta tratamenduari aurka egitea ere. Horretarako, enpresara jo dezakezu, helbide honetan: Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), telefonoa: 943 02 69 02 - [hidden email]

This message and all documents attached to it are confidential and intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. Any use of this information by unauthorised persons is prohibited under current legislation. If you received this message by error, please advise us, destroy it and refrain from communicating its contents to third parties. We apologise for any inconvenience receiving this email improperly may cause to you. Your personal data are included in a file owned by Avanzosc, S.L. If you want to exercise your rights of access, correction, erasure and objection you can contact the Controller at Julio Urkijo, 32, 20720, Azkoitia (Gipuzkoa), T: 943 02 69 02 – [hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] Documentation V8

Bidoul, Stéphane
Hello,

+1 for rst/sphinx/readthedocs for technical documentation.

Regarding functional documentation, we are investigating a way to use the v8 website editor to create contextual functional documentation that the users would be able to maintain themselves. We envision the possibility to let users add documentation pages linked to screens / wizards, as well as non contextual introductory documentation.

The system would benefit from the native web page editor and translation mechanism of odoo to provide a end-user friendly way to contribute modular documentation.

What are your thoughts about this?
Are there similar initiatives underway?

Best regards,

-sbi

[...]

Raphael Valyi
Hello Stéphane,

well I also created a gem extension of Gollum, the Wiki originated from Github that is able to connect to any Odoo via JSON-RPC and also has page inheritance just like Odoo. Basically a first extension makes it possible to use Liquid (the templating language from Shopify or LocomotiveCMS) in Gollum and then you can use erpify which plugs Ooor to Liquid in less than 100 lines of code.

I feel reusing Liquid and Gollum is much less reinventing the wheel than reinventing that web-framework in Odoo we all the scalability, security and business model issues it carries. It may not be important for documention but if  it fails to become sustainable because of these issues, you will eat the consequences too.
An example of a great open source project running Gollum is Freeradius: http://wiki.freeradius.org/Home

If you are interested in collaborating feel free to contact us or submit your PR.

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Bidoul, Stéphane <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello Stephane

in the user space, this is certainly the best way, and a very good Idea. The only thing you probably know, is that Odoo is developing a kind of introduction Step through on each module (kind of a status bar with tooltips and instructions). There was a mock up I can't find right now. If I got you right, both concepts should be integrated. This is in your terms a "contextual introduction", so the "contextual user maintained documentation" definitifely makes sense and could be a very compelling completion to the various note fields of the different models.
Now that we talk about the topic, Nhomar proposed a way of documentation of individual records based on lates web tooltip development. I would be glad if you would have a look at it, as I'm not capable to investigate this further, but I can feel, that this would be a good idea. The idea is to have a "note" field as a magical column field an transform it to a tooltip (maybe could even go into api one day) a referenc I coul find is: https://github.com/odoo/odoo/pull/1390 - I read again the conversation on it, I think it's a hot one!

Hope this 2cts helps! Keep us updated, everyone starves for documentation, I think.

Best, David