[Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

12

[Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Antony Lesuisse (OpenERP)
I would like to remove report_webkit from our master branch before releasing v8.

I think we wont maintain it properly and i expect that this will create
frustrations during the lifetime of v8.

None of our modules use it at all (none ever did actually). Now that the
conversion from rml to qweb/wkhtml report is done, i consider that the default
report system of v8 is superior to report_webkit.

It has all the advantages like the speed and html/css syntax, but it's much
more modular and versatile. It supports as many layout as you want, images and
view inheritance. The codebase is also smaller.

report_webkit was a source inspiration when we developed the v8 pdf report
generation. And i would like to thanks its author Nicolas Bessi.

On github we already have 2 pull requests (PR) about it, i dont want my
developers to spend time on code that is not used at all by any addons.

So report_webkit PR's will stay unprocessed and i dont think the module
deserve that.

Would oca be motivated enough to take over the module to ensure proper
maintenance.

Antony Lesuisse.

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Erdem Uney
Thank you for asking.

Weren't you the one who said about a month ago that you will support report_webkit through v8 and drop both rml and report_webkit in v9?

Regards,
Erdem

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 2:36 AM, Antony Lesuisse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Nicolas Bessi - Camptocamp
Hello Anthony,

I will just quote you:

"""
Here is my plan:

v8:

we keep "server/report" and "report_webkit" unchanged, but every report in our addons are converted to qweb.

v9:

we remove "server/report" and "report_webkit" from our repository, "report_webkit" will be moved to a community repo (like we do for every deprecated module).

"""

It is a normal release cycle to deprate then to remove, even in OpenSource.
Such abruts abandon of addons may not entrust people with your partner contract/guarantee...

I also think some PR where made on branche 7 if I'm correct.

As I said previously, I was was my self not against abandonning totally report_webkit if we can convert all our work to qweb report.
But doing so will take the community some time to do it.

Now, if you really do not want to maintain it and the question is just rethoric, Camptocamp/community will maintain the module.

Regards

Nicolas

[...]

Senior ERP consultant
Business Solution technical manager

Camptocamp SA
PSE A
CH-1015 Lausanne

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Joël Grand-Guillaume @ camptocamp
+1 For Nicolas's opinion here. I think it's fair in an open source project to at least give the community / partner one version to convert their work by deprecating something. Please, do not just remove that module for v8.0. You already dropped audittrail, project long term and some others.

If I perfectly understand all the reasons that motivate you to drop them (trust me;), it's the editor's duty to announce, deprecate and then only drop something. If you're not doing so, how can we as partners / community rely on you ?

Thanks for your understanding.

See you in june !

Joël

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Nicolas Bessi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Anthony,

I will just quote you:

"""
[...]

camptocamp
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS

Joël Grand-Guillaume
Division Manager
Business Solutions

+41 21 619 10 28

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Erdem Uney
This could be at least understandable if you had a roadmap for version 8 and you have announced it like a year ago not 10 days before the release of v8.

Thank you Camptocamp at first creating and now supporting it.

Regards,
Erdem

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:18 AM, Joël Grand-Guillaume <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Peter Langenberg
+1 Joel & +1 Nicolas

I surely understand the time pressure for the release, but I think we made an agreement.

Here is my plan:  v8: we keep "server/report" and "report_webkit" unchanged, but every report in our addons are converted to qweb.

It's not a discussion, sure the qweb report has many advantages and will be the future, but you cannot change your strategy overnight.

It's the same with the github story, ofcourse the github is better, but we get a message on the webminar and the other day we are all github. It also takes some time to adapt our installation scripts, to get used to this new tool.

You know odoo has a long tail and we are member of it :-)

PS : I like the new v8, it's a good job.

Hope to see you all in june ...

Peter

Eric Caudal - www.elico-corp.com
+1
Eric CAUDAL
Eric Caudal
CEO
--
Elico Corporation, Shanghai branch
Odoo Premium Certified Training Partner

With version 8, OpenERP becomes Odoo!
Elico
          Corp Odoo
          Silver Partner
On 05/21/2014 03:18 PM, Joël Grand-Guillaume wrote:
[...]

Graeme Gellatly

Is openerp happy to pay oca say 12 euro per user per month? Not supporting will be large blocker to v8 adoption, maybe you should release the automated migration tool for webkit to qweb reports, might make it easier to accept.  Also, We will give discount for first 2 years, more than enough time to deprecate.

Disclaimer.  Not part of oca.

On 21/05/2014 7:32 PM, "Eric Caudal" <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1
Eric Caudal
CEO
--
Elico Corporation, Shanghai branch
Odoo Premium Certified Training Partner
Cell: <a href="tel:%2B%2086%20186%202136%201670" value="+8618621361670" target="_blank">+ 86 186 2136 1670
[...]

Fabien Pinckaers
Hello,

As an opposite to libc, Odoo is fully modular.

Deprecating a feature does not mean it's not accessible anymore, it just
means that the feature is moved to another repository, and the
responsibility of the maintenance is transfered to someone else.

Moving report_webkit to an OCA project would be the best approach for
us. People can continue to use it as long as the OCA team decides to
keep it alive. (v8, v9, v10...)

More over, as we do not use report_webkit in our own development nor for
our own client, we are not the right entity to maintain it.

I guess camptocamp (and others?) will contribute much more to
report_webkit than Odoo in the future, because they really use it.

So, it looks normal that this module become a community one. Keeping a
module we don't want to use in the official repository is the worst
thing to do for report_webkit. (no possible evolution, constraints of no
feature applied to stable branches)

For your record, moving this module to a community branch is also a huge
cost for us: we have to port all custom webkit reports to QWeb for our
SaaS and on premise customers! (we will have to port hundreds of Webkit
reports to the new system at no extra revenues)

So, we do not take such a decision easily. Even if it's a huge pain, we
think it's good for the long term and it's better to do it soon than
later. (if people continue to build reports on webkit, it will costs us
even more later)

Hope you better understand our motivation,

Thanks,

Fabien

On 05/21/2014 09:22 AM, Erdem Uney wrote:

> [...]
>
>                 None of our modules use it at all (none ever did
>                 actually). Now that the conversion from rml to
>                 qweb/wkhtml report is done, i consider that the default
>                 report system of v8 is superior to report_webkit.
>
>                 It has all the advantages like the speed and html/css
>                 syntax, but it's much more modular and versatile. It
>                 supports as many layout as you want, images and view
>                 inheritance. The codebase is also smaller.
>
>                 report_webkit was a source inspiration when we developed
>                 the v8 pdf report generation. And i would like to thanks
>                 its author Nicolas Bessi.
>
>                 On github we already have 2 pull requests (PR) about it,
>                 i dont want my developers to spend time on code that is
>                 not used at all by any addons.
>
>                 So report_webkit PR's will stay unprocessed and i dont
>                 think the module deserve that.
>
>                 Would oca be motivated enough to take over the module to

Fabien Pinckaers
Odoo Founder

Phone: +32.81.81.37.00
Web: https://www.odoo.com
Twitter: @fpodoo

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Yannick Vaucher @ Camptocamp
+1 with Joel and Nicolas

Antony,

What will hapend to my PR for 7.0? Will they be applied to 7.0 but not automatically pushed into master?

As you still have to support 7.0 it doesn't seems such more work to take care of report_webkit in master.

report_webkit is used a lot in community. It will take us more than 10 days to port everything ...

Cheers,

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Graeme Gellatly <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yannick Vaucher
Business Solutions Software Developer

Camptocamp SA
PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: +41 21 619 10 30
Office: +41 21 619 10 10

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Fabien Pinckaers
Hello,

> /Here is my plan:  v8: we keep "server/report" and "report_webkit"
> unchanged, but every report in our addons are converted to qweb./

Yes, we can change our mind if we have better ideas.

We try to avoid this, but if it helps building a better product by
focusing on the essentials, that's good. (for example, we'd like to
assign resources to keep pull requests under control)

It's not only about community. This is the way we work internally too.
Antony can promise me something and change his mind later and I do the
same with him.

Having such a level of flexibility is sometimes frustrating (nobody
likes to abort a project in the middle), but it's a good thing in the
long term. It allows us to keep staying focused and not waste time on
non valuable developments.

We used to say that nothing is granted with the R&D. Being agile matters.

> It's the same with the github story, ofcourse the github is better, but
> we get a message on the webminar and the other day we are all github. It
> also takes some time to adapt our installation scripts, to get used to
> this new tool.

We moved version 8 to github from one day to another, because it has no
impact for the community that do not use v8 yet. (and we provide scripts
for your feature branches)

But version 7 is still on launchpad and we are ready to maintain
launchpad for a transition period in order to help you organize
yourself. That's something we should discuss and decide at the community
days.

But, for now on, there are no emergencies to move to github for your v7
projects as we continue to maintain launchpad for v7 and earlier.

> You know odoo has a long tail and we are member of it :-)

Yes, and the long tail is the strenght of Odoo too. (actually both the
head and the long tail are our strenght :)

That's why the OCA can maintain report_webkit without damage to this
good module.

> Hope to see you all in june ...

me too :) The community days will be a great event. We work hard to
ensure the quality of the talks will be good.
Hope you will like,

Fabien

> [...]
>         Business Solution technical manager
>
>         Camptocamp SA
>         PSE A
>         CH-1015 Lausanne
>
>         http://openerp.camptocamp.com <http://openerp.camptocamp.com/>
>
>         Direct:   +41 21 619 10 26
>         Office:   +41 21 619 10 10

>     --
>

>     *camptocamp*
>     INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
>     BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>
>     *Joël Grand-Guillaume*
>     Division Manager
>     Business Solutions
>
>     +41 21 619 10 28
>     www.camptocamp.com <http://www.camptocamp.com/>

Fabien Pinckaers
Odoo Founder

Phone: +32.81.81.37.00
Web: https://www.odoo.com
Twitter: @fpodoo

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Raphael Valyi
On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 5:30 AM, Fabien Pinckaers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> /Here is my plan:  v8: we keep "server/report" and "report_webkit"
> unchanged, but every report in our addons are converted to qweb./

Yes, we can change our mind if we have better ideas.

We try to avoid this, but if it helps building a better product by
focusing on the essentials, that's good. (for example, we'd like to
assign resources to keep pull requests under control)

It's not only about community. This is the way we work internally too.
Antony can promise me something and change his mind later and I do the
same with him.

Hello Fabien,
that's cool to hear you may change your mind a few things you announced.
But tell us, that would of course never apply to the established licenses under which all the contributions were made of course?
Even in case of emergency plan right? We have your word right?

Kudos for the excellent v8 BTW!

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Joël Grand-Guillaume @ camptocamp

Thanks for your point of view, at least it is clear : the decision is done.

I understand your need to move fast and that giving time to deprecate something costs you. Of course it is easier to drop it !

I hope you are aware that lots of your partners and the whole community rely on your work. If you drop something that costs you too much, you, in a certain way, give us the burden. Of course the OCA will maintain that module cause WE have no choice but to do so. Remember that OCA is still in his birth and at a point, he will not be capable enough to assume all your move. Remember we are part of your success as well when you're making such a decision. It hurts us.

Hope this mail do not sounds too rude, it doesn't meant to, I just say what I think as usual with you. I know you're like that since the begining so I can't say I wasn't aware ;)

Looking forward to see you in June,

Regards,

Joël

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Nicolas Bessi - Camptocamp

Hello,

As I guessed the question was purely rhetoric :P

As Joel says, community will take the relay. Can you please provide us a procedure to extract history from github repo for report_webkit.

Going forward and having a strategy is a good thing, but good grief, please respect at least some release cycle or provide a least a better roadmap.
You should really adopt a better communication with community and partner because I'm sure at that time they don't feel in confidence with odoo/OpenERP.

I'm really gratefull to OpenERP/odoo for this great product that make me eat.  But that also why I want to have a trustworthy relation with it.

My two cents

Nicolas

Hello,

> [...]

>                 i dont want my developers to spend time on code that is
>                 not used at all by any addons.
>
>                 So report_webkit PR's will stay unprocessed and i dont
>                 think the module deserve that.
>
>                 Would oca be motivated enough to take over the module to
>                 ensure proper maintenance.
>
>                 Antony Lesuisse.

>         --
>         Nicolas Bessi
>         Senior ERP consultant
>         Business Solution technical manager
>
>         Camptocamp SA
>         PSE A
>         CH-1015 Lausanne
>
>         http://openerp.camptocamp.com <http://openerp.camptocamp.com/>
>
>         Direct:   <a href="tel:%2B41%2021%20619%2010%2026" value="+41216191026" target="_blank">+41 21 619 10 26
>         Office:   <a href="tel:%2B41%2021%20619%2010%2010" value="+41216191010" target="_blank">+41 21 619 10 10

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B32.81.81.37.00" value="+3281813700" target="_blank">+32.81.81.37.00
Web: https://www.odoo.com
Twitter: @fpodoo

Nicolas Bessi
Senior ERP consultant
Business Solution technical manager

Camptocamp SA
PSE A
CH-1015 Lausanne

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Eric Caudal - www.elico-corp.com
Changing your mind is a good thing: not respecting common rules for release continuity is not.

I can understand the reasons, not the method: it sends the wrong message to partners and customers about code stability.

Eric CAUDAL
Eric Caudal
CEO
--
Elico Corporation, Shanghai branch
Odoo Premium Certified Training Partner
Cell: + 86 186 2136 1670
Office: + 86 21 6211 8017/27/37
Skype: elico.corp
[hidden email]
http://www.elico-corp.com

With version 8, OpenERP becomes Odoo!
Elico
          Corp Odoo
          Silver Partner
Hello,

[hidden email]>:

    +1 For Nicolas's opinion here. I think it's fair in an open source
    project to at least give the community / partner one version to
    convert their work by deprecating something. Please, do not just
    remove that module for v8.0. You already dropped audittrail, project
    long term and some others.

    If I perfectly understand all the reasons that motivate you to drop
    them (trust me;), it's the editor's duty to announce, deprecate and
    then only drop something. If you're not doing so, how can we as
    partners / community rely on you ?

    Thanks for your understanding.

    See you in june !

    Joël

    On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Nicolas Bessi
    <[hidden email] [hidden email]>
    wrote:

        Hello Anthony,

        I will just quote you:

        """

        [hidden email]>:

[...]

Yes and no, MP on 7.0 will be forward ported to 8.0. PR on 8.0 will be forward
ported to master.

Not sure 100% yet that we want to keep 7.0 on launchpad, odo will take the
final decision.

- Always target the correct branch
- Never duplicate PR or MP

Olivier will create a new wiki page contribute.md in the wiki with the full
policy.

On 05/21/2014 10:16 AM, Yannick Vaucher wrote:

> [...]
>>             PSE A
>>             CH-1015 Lausanne
>>
>>             http://openerp.camptocamp.com <http://openerp.camptocamp.com/>
>>
>>             Direct: +41 21 619 10 26
>>             Office: +41 21 619 10 10

>>         --
>>

>>         *camptocamp*
>>         INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
>>         BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS
>>
>>         *Joël Grand-Guillaume*
>>         Division Manager
>>         Business Solutions
>>
>>         +41 21 619 10 28
>>         www.camptocamp.com <http://www.camptocamp.com/>

> Yannick Vaucher
> Business Solutions Software Developer
>
> Camptocamp SA
> PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
> Phone: +41 21 619 10 30
> Office: +41 21 619 10 10
> http://www.camptocamp.com/

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Geert Janssens
On Wednesday 21 May 2014 18:10:26 Eric Caudal wrote:
> Changing your mind is a good thing: not respecting common rules for
> release continuity is not.
>
> I can understand the reasons, not the method: it sends the wrong
> message to partners and customers about code stability.

As a customer I can confirm this. I have seen several situations in the
past where OpenERP decides overnight to make radical changes. I
regularly become uneasy becasue I don't know what I can depend on.

And that's not only for code stability. Pricing has seen the same
unexpected variations during the years. In the three years I'm following
OpenERP I have already seen 3 different pricing models. The most recent
change may be in my advantage (I am not even sure yet) but who knows
what I will find within a year ?

Perhaps change is exiting for OpenERP employees but as I customer I
value continuity and stability even more. The thing just has to work and
work well. All else is just hype.

Geert Janssens

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Fabien Pinckaers

> Hello Fabien,
> that's cool to hear you may change your mind a few things you announced.
> But tell us, that would of course never apply to the established
> licenses under which all the contributions were made of course?
> Even in case of emergency plan right? We have your word right?

Copy/paste from one of my latest blog:

  We removed the words "Open" and "ERP" from our name. But Odoo is and
  always will be fully open source. Our open source business model is
  unchanged. Our commitment to an open software and community remains.
  And it's the same for ERP; Odoo's key priorities are still management
  applications like accounting, project management, crm, inventory, etc.

You guys are bothering me. After so many years, you still see the devil
in every move...

There are only a very few companies in the world like us, with a so
strong open source commitment. After 8 years, you still think we have
hidden agendas. I don't know how I can explain it better...

These are the kind of attitude that makes me stop discussing with you
and focus on doing things / moving forward.

--
Fabien Pinckaers
Odoo Founder

Phone: +32.81.81.37.00
Web: https://www.odoo.com
Twitter: @fpodoo

On Wednesday 21 May 2014 15:16:35 Fabien Pinckaers wrote:

> > Hello Fabien,
> > that's cool to hear you may change your mind a few things you
> > announced. But tell us, that would of course never apply to the
> > established licenses under which all the contributions were made of
> > course? Even in case of emergency plan right? We have your word
> > right?
> Copy/paste from one of my latest blog:
>
>   We removed the words "Open" and "ERP" from our name. But Odoo is and
> always will be fully open source. Our open source business model is
> unchanged. Our commitment to an open software and community remains.
> And it's the same for ERP; Odoo's key priorities are still management
> applications like accounting, project management, crm, inventory,
> etc.

That's good news and I trust you on this.

> You guys are bothering me. After so many years, you still see the
> devil in every move...

It is equally bothering that every move invokes suspicions of this kind.
There is likely a good reason for that. However I don't think this
reason is ill will or bad intentions from your side.

> There are only a very few companies in the world like us, with a so
> strong open source commitment. After 8 years, you still think we have
> hidden agendas. I don't know how I can explain it better...

I have been involved in a couple of free software projects for years now
and that has probably colored my expectations. OpenERP/Odoo claims to be
open source and by a narrow definition it is indeed: the source code is
publicly available. My sincerest gratitude for that. It is what
attracted me to your product in the first place.

There is however much more to a successful open source project than just
providing the source code for download. For such a project to succeed
that community is essential and should be taken as an equal partner.

You managed to create a community. A lively one at that as well. So
that's good. However I'm not sure you are treating them as equal
partners. And that can induce malcontent, suspicion and other frictions.

Also from how I perceive it the community is mostly a community of
partners. I don't see/hear many users raising their voice in the
community.

Perhaps that's part of the nature of your product (a suite of business
management tools), perhaps also partly due to the business model in
which the user is considered an outsider, the masses that have to be
convinced to pay OpenERP and its partners for their product.

I have seen many open source projects struggle when there was one
central company managing it and treating the community as second class.
Take Qt while it was managed by Nokia. It only really revived when Digia
took over which really took the community seriously. The same for
OpenOffice/LibreOffice. It had all kinds of trouble/friction while Sun
and later Oracle was in control (the Oracle period was the worst of the
two). Now under the wings of the Document Foundation it flourishes.

I do understand OpenERP is your brainchild and by no means I mean to
imply you should let go of it. I'm mainly pointing out how a healthy
community is critical for your success. That's not directly countable in
dollars but it would be unfortunate to underestimate what added value a
good community can bring. A few examples have already been mentioned on
this list like localization.

I can imagine with the recent funding you must ensure you have
sufficient ROI to keep the stakeholders happy. But just be careful not
to steer away from an open ecosystem in which open communication as
equal partners is essential.

> These are the kind of attitude that makes me stop discussing with you
> and focus on doing things / moving forward.

It's not my intention to criticize every move made by OpenERP/Odoo
although I have had my fair share of frustration with OpenERP both in
support as in sudden changes in course.

I'm only a customer with great interest in getting involved in the
community. And I have chosen to share my view on open source communities
in the hope it can benefit the Odoo ecosystem as a whole.

Regards,

Geert

Re: [Openerp-community] Could oca adopt report_webkit before v8

Ovnicraft

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Fabien Pinckaers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Fabien,
> that's cool to hear you may change your mind a few things you announced.
> But tell us, that would of course never apply to the established
> licenses under which all the contributions were made of course?
> Even in case of emergency plan right? We have your word right?

Copy/paste from one of my latest blog:

  We removed the words "Open" and "ERP" from our name. But Odoo is and
  always will be fully open source. Our open source business model is
  unchanged. Our commitment to an open software and community remains.
  And it's the same for ERP; Odoo's key priorities are still management
  applications like accounting, project management, crm, inventory, etc.

You guys are bothering me. After so many years, you still see the devil
in every move...

There are only a very few companies in the world like us, with a so
strong open source commitment. After 8 years, you still think we have
hidden agendas. I don't know how I can explain it better...

So i can support you in this, from 4.0 (when i com from) all changes in web, deprecated gtk, SaaS model gives somes scary to people but you keeps AGPL, thanks for that and all moves to get a better platform now.

About report_webkit its a fast-fast move BTW hoping new engine gives the best,

Regards !

These are the kind of attitude that makes me stop discussing with you
and focus on doing things / moving forward.

--
Fabien Pinckaers
Odoo Founder

Phone: <a href="tel:%2B32.81.81.37.00" value="+3281813700">+32.81.81.37.00
Web: https://www.odoo.com
Twitter: @fpodoo

12