[Openerp-community] Convention for unported modules

[Openerp-community] Convention for unported modules

Daniel Reis (SECURITAS SA)-3
Hi all,

Current lp2git migration steps tell you to rename unported modules with a suffix "_unported".
This was a strategy Sandy found to have TravisCI and Flake8 ignore them, and Guewen included that in the migration docs, and I believe it already been adopted in some of the migrations to GitHub.

On the other hand, last November we also discussed here a convention to easily identify unported modules.
I made the proposal to use a subdirectory, since I was working on a project where most modules were unported and often it wasn't easy to navigate around.
We eventually agreed that a "__unported__" subdirectory could be used for that.
I believe at the time most people didn't see that a necessity, so in practice it was not widely used.

My problem is that the new convention does not solve the initial problem: uncluttering repo root  from unported modules.
And I believe the subdirectory approach is also capable to do what's needed for TravisCI and Flake8.

So, my opinion is that we shoudl prefer the "__unported__" subdirectory convention over the "_unported" suffix convention.
I believe the impact on already migrated repos is negligible.

So I open the discussion on this, and of couse will follow whatever consensus comes out of it.

Best regards,
Daniel Reis

Re: [Openerp-community] Convention for unported modules

Guewen Baconnier @ Camptocamp
On 07/01/2014 03:13 PM, Daniel Reis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Current lp2git migration steps
> <https://github.com/OCA/maintainers-tools/wiki/Migration-Launchpad-%E2%86%92-GitHub#migration-steps>
> tell you to rename unported modules with a suffix "_unported".
> This was a strategy Sandy found to have TravisCI and Flake8 ignore them,
> and Guewen included that in the migration docs, and I believe it already
> been adopted in some of the migrations to GitHub.
>
> On the other hand, last November we also discussed here
> <https://lists.launchpad.net/openerp-community/msg04016.html> a
> convention to easily identify unported modules.
> I made the proposal to use a subdirectory, since I was working on a
> project where most modules were unported and often it wasn't easy to
> navigate around.
> We eventually agreed that a "__unported__" subdirectory could be used
> for that.
> I believe at the time most people didn't see that a necessity, so in
> practice it was not widely used.
>
> My problem is that the new convention does not solve the initial
> problem: uncluttering repo root  from unported modules.
> And I believe the subdirectory approach is also capable to do what's
> needed for TravisCI and Flake8.
>
> So, my opinion is that we shoudl prefer the "__unported__" subdirectory
> convention over the "_unported" suffix convention.
> I believe the impact on already migrated repos is negligible.
>
> So I open the discussion on this, and of couse will follow whatever
> consensus comes out of it.
>
> Best regards,
> Daniel Reis

Hi,

Daniel and Pedro raised good points why we should move the modules in a
__unported__ subdirectory (also discussed on
https://github.com/OCA/department/pull/1). I agree with them.

Thanks Daniel

Best,

--
Guewen Baconnier
Business Solutions Software Developer

Camptocamp SA
PSE A, CH-1015 Lausanne
Phone: +41 21 619 10 39
Office: +41 21 619 10 10
http://www.camptocamp.com/

Re: [Openerp-community] Convention for unported modules

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
As I stated on your PR, Daniel, these are the issues I see with _unported suffix:

"The only problem I see with this is that all modules will be listed when you add the repository in the addons_path, that will dissapear when migrations were done. This is even worst if someone forget to put installable flag to False."

Regards.

[...]

I believe there is an agreement on this, then.
I'll update the migration guide as promised.

/DR