[Openerp-community] Buildout recipe 1.8.5 is around the corner

[Openerp-community] Buildout recipe 1.8.5 is around the corner

Georges Racinet
Dear all,

we are very close to a 1.8.5 release of the buildout recipe.
I plan to release it tomorrow or this week-end if no blocker issue is
found in the meanwhile.
Don't hesitate to provide feedback.

You can check the milestone status here:
https://launchpad.net/anybox.recipe.openerp/+milestone/1.8.5
See also the current value of CHANGES.rst:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~anybox/anybox.recipe.openerp/1.8/view/head:/CHANGES.rst

I will be mostly offline next week.
Remember that you can get back to 1.8.4 in case of problems as with any
other python distribution. Namely:

  [versions]
  anybox.recipe.openerp = 1.8.4

Regards,

PS: I plan to flush the pipe for 1.9.0 soon, it's been too long already.

--
Georges Racinet
Anybox SAS, http://anybox.fr

Re: [Openerp-community] Buildout recipe 1.8.5 is around the corner

Raphael Valyi
Hello Georges,

Kudos for the work. A feature I was thinking about and I'm not sure you would be interested in:
what about having at the workspace root a folder called "patches" with the possibility to have one patch file per branch (parts). I prefer not having the patch in the parts folder themselves as these folder could be reconstructed from scratch and we don't want to put parts in the VCS (while patches would be in the VCS).
I think we may need this at least for us for agility, kind of quick and dirty patching until you have more time to investigate, because when working for small companies, we aren't always in a situation where there is always budget to do the clean thing in time and we should still get it working, sometimes in a few minutes. So dirty but useful at least for us.

A chance you want that in the core? Do you think it's viable to get it as an extension (any pointer?), so the idea would be that right after converging a branch, the vcs provider would try to apply the patch if any. We could think about plugin with tools like Quilt, but personally I prefer something very simple. Quilt is great for a project like Debian that don't easily have control of upstream projects, but now that we are on Github, it reasonable to create a branch when you need it, but still quick and dirty single patch might help for quick prototyping and sharing/deploying/testing it.

What do you think?

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On 07/25/2014 12:17 AM, Raphael Valyi wrote:

> Hello Georges,
>
> Kudos for the work. A feature I was thinking about and I'm not sure
> you would be interested in:
> what about having at the workspace root a folder called "patches" with
> the possibility to have one patch file per branch (parts). I prefer
> not having the patch in the parts folder themselves as these folder
> could be reconstructed from scratch and we don't want to put parts in
> the VCS (while patches would be in the VCS).
> I think we may need this at least for us for agility, kind of quick
> and dirty patching until you have more time to investigate, because
> when working for small companies, we aren't always in a situation
> where there is always budget to do the clean thing in time and we
> should still get it working, sometimes in a few minutes. So dirty but
> useful at least for us.
>
> A chance you want that in the core? Do you think it's viable to get it
> as an extension (any pointer?),
We've been using a similar way of doing to apply OPW patches actually a
while ago, using another recipe that lets you use any shell command:

[buildout]
parts = openerp pos_payment_patch

(...)

[pos_payment_patch]
recipe = collective.recipe.cmd
on_install = true
on_update = true
cmds = cd addons-openerp
       patch -N -p0 < ../patches/pos_payment.patch
       patch -N -p0 < ../patches/lp1048547.patch
       patch -N -p0 < ../patches/opw-581757.patch
       patch -N -p0 < ../patches/closing_balance.patch

but one can get really hard to track behaviour if one mixes this with
vcs tracking (not even thinking of merge-ins). Honestly I'm not sure
exactly what are the problems, might be nothing more than the
freeze/release system that refuses local modifications, a true
integration with vcs subsystem would improve on that.

> so the idea would be that right after converging a branch, the vcs
> provider would try to apply the patch if any. We could think about
> plugin with tools like Quilt, but personally I prefer something very
> simple. Quilt is great for a project like Debian that don't easily
> have control of upstream projects,
agreed about Quilt, although I have very few practical experience with
it. I suppose one could also launch it with collective.recipe.cmd.
> but now that we are on Github, it reasonable to create a branch when
> you need it, but still quick and dirty single patch might help for
> quick prototyping and sharing/deploying/testing it.
Indeed, but this is true of any public DVCS upstream (although of course
bzr/lp are cumbersome compared to git).

> What do you think?

Well, would collective.recipe.cmd fit your use-cases enough ?

--
Georges Racinet
Anybox SAS, http://anybox.fr
Bureau: 09 72 39 50 97 / 09 72 39 13 06
Portable: 06 51 32 07 27
GPG: 0x33AB0A35, sur serveurs publics

Re: [Openerp-community] Buildout recipe 1.8.5 is around the corner

eLBatti
On 07/25/2014 12:40 AM, Georges Racinet wrote:
Well, would collective.recipe.cmd fit your use-cases enough ?

Hello,
we use collective.recipe.patch for launchpad patches (downloaded by the MP diff) and cp.recipe.cmd (collective.recipe.cmd seems to be better, I didn't know there were several) for github patches, using hub and the command
hub am -3 https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/22

Commits from 'hub am' are correctly applied because we always specify the commit hash of every git branch we use.

Regards

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40

On 07/25/2014 11:16 AM, Lorenzo Battistini wrote:
On 07/25/2014 12:40 AM, Georges Racinet wrote:
Well, would collective.recipe.cmd fit your use-cases enough ?

Hello,
we use collective.recipe.patch for launchpad patches (downloaded by the MP diff) and cp.recipe.cmd (collective.recipe.cmd seems to be better, I didn't know there were several) for github patches, using hub and the command
hub am -3 https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/22

Interesting, thank you !
Noticing that git can be aliased to hub and then have a version string that the openerp recipe would not parse (this parsing has been introduced yesterday in trunk version only)

Commits from 'hub am' are correctly applied because we always specify the commit hash of every git branch we use.
in the buildout configuration, I suppose ? The freeze and release features would still take the patching as a local modification and refuse to proceed, so I suppose also that you don't use it.

On a side note, what if the commit you're referring by its hash disappears ?

Cheers,

On 07/25/2014 12:02 PM, Georges Racinet wrote:
On 07/25/2014 11:16 AM, Lorenzo Battistini wrote:
On 07/25/2014 12:40 AM, Georges Racinet wrote:
Well, would collective.recipe.cmd fit your use-cases enough ?

Hello,
we use collective.recipe.patch for launchpad patches (downloaded by the MP diff) and cp.recipe.cmd (collective.recipe.cmd seems to be better, I didn't know there were several) for github patches, using hub and the command
hub am -3 https://github.com/OCA/web/pull/22

Interesting, thank you !
Noticing that git can be aliased to hub and then have a version string that the openerp recipe would not parse (this parsing has been introduced yesterday in trunk version only)

Thanks for the info (and for all your work on the recipe btw ;-) )

Commits from 'hub am' are correctly applied because we always specify the commit hash of every git branch we use.
in the buildout configuration, I suppose ?

Yes, something like

version = git https://github.com/odoo/odoo.git odoo e80014eae3a622c1491d3f2905b3b6b9e12c6be8

The freeze and release features would still take the patching as a local modification and refuse to proceed, so I suppose also that you don't use it.

We don't use it.
We fix the environment just using 'versions' for eggs and branches revisions (+ possible patches) and putting the .cfg files under VCS

On a side note, what if the commit you're referring by its hash disappears ?

Uhm, could this happen to stable branches?
If it happens, we will discover it while running the buildout on test instances :-)

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40

[Openerp-community] Buildout recipe 1.8.5 released

Georges Racinet
Hi there !

On 07/24/2014 11:42 PM, Georges Racinet wrote:

> we are very close to a 1.8.5 release of the buildout recipe.
> I plan to release it tomorrow or this week-end if no blocker issue is
> found in the meanwhile.

Actually, the release has been done just a few minutes ago.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi/anybox.recipe.openerp#changes
https://pythonhosted.org/anybox.recipe.openerp/
https://launchpad.net/anybox.recipe.openerp/+milestone/1.8.5

What I stated below still holds true, cheers !