[Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

Raphael Valyi
Hello folks,


Here is the thing, we are considering putting the core of the Brazilian localization under the OCA foundation. No rush, but we want to start the process and we don't want to slow down other more urgent OCA activities, that is v8 migration and Github migration of current OCA branches.

We have been using Github, Travis, git flow for a year now (and it helped a lot), so we are aligned on most of the tooling already.

Now we have a question about branch naming convention and some other projects may have it too:

We have 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0 branches already.
And we will have a 8.0 branch soon.


Now the question is:

we anticipated the 8.0 API change some 10 months ago already (we eventually expected 8.0 sooner), so in the 'develop' branch we started some heavy non backward compatible changes because we wanted to concentrate them at the new major version while keeping the 7.0 branch API stable and while we couldn't work on 8.0 yet economically speaking.

Still, that 'develop' branch is in fact still working with the 7.0 Odoo branches, not 8.0 yet. The API changes we did were internal to our localization so far and didn't target yet the API changes of Odoo v8.

So now we will split that 'develop' branch into 2 branches:
  • a 'develop' for 7.0
  • and a 'develop' for 8.0 (we won't become stable overnight).

That develop for 8.0 will soon be merged into a 8.0 when we will have stabilized the migration to Odoo v8 and when we will made the next important changes in the localization.

So we have we will have these 4 branches here:
  • 7.0 stable
  • develop for 7.0
  • develop for 8.0
  • 8.0
According to the git flow convention, "develop for 8.0"  will be simply called "develop" as it's where we develop the next stable version.

Now how to call that "develop for 7.0" branch? It's not the develop" of git flow, it's not 7.0 either.

It's a kind of "7.9" branch you see what I mean? The last 7 branch before 8.0...

Can we have a convention for naming that last development serie branch when it's stabilize before develop is eventually extracted from it?

That 7.9 is typically a branch where we and some other early adopter have a few v7 customers before we migrate to 8 some day. It's also a branch that people stuck in 7.0 unable to migrate on 8.0 any soon could use if they are starting to implement the localization now.

Thank you for you suggestions.


-- 
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant
+55 21 3942-2434




_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Hi, Raphaël,

I wouldn't mix both things, creating branches for intermediate or develop versions under main repo. If you have a 7.0 development version, I would fork the 7.0 branch under the brazilian GitHub team, and make the development there. If someone wants to see the evolution, they only have to go to this also public branch. In any other case, you have always the latest stable at 7.0. When you finish this refactorization, then switch the branch, merge it, tag it last stable commit...

Having another branch in the same repo can also confuse people about what branch to use.

Regards.

P.S.: We are also working to include spanish localization under OCA.


2014-07-11 18:29 GMT+02:00 Raphael Valyi <[hidden email]>:
Hello folks,


Here is the thing, we are considering putting the core of the Brazilian localization under the OCA foundation. No rush, but we want to start the process and we don't want to slow down other more urgent OCA activities, that is v8 migration and Github migration of current OCA branches.

We have been using Github, Travis, git flow for a year now (and it helped a lot), so we are aligned on most of the tooling already.

Now we have a question about branch naming convention and some other projects may have it too:

We have 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0 branches already.
And we will have a 8.0 branch soon.


Now the question is:

we anticipated the 8.0 API change some 10 months ago already (we eventually expected 8.0 sooner), so in the 'develop' branch we started some heavy non backward compatible changes because we wanted to concentrate them at the new major version while keeping the 7.0 branch API stable and while we couldn't work on 8.0 yet economically speaking.

Still, that 'develop' branch is in fact still working with the 7.0 Odoo branches, not 8.0 yet. The API changes we did were internal to our localization so far and didn't target yet the API changes of Odoo v8.

So now we will split that 'develop' branch into 2 branches:
  • a 'develop' for 7.0
  • and a 'develop' for 8.0 (we won't become stable overnight).

That develop for 8.0 will soon be merged into a 8.0 when we will have stabilized the migration to Odoo v8 and when we will made the next important changes in the localization.

So we have we will have these 4 branches here:
  • 7.0 stable
  • develop for 7.0
  • develop for 8.0
  • 8.0
According to the git flow convention, "develop for 8.0"  will be simply called "develop" as it's where we develop the next stable version.

Now how to call that "develop for 7.0" branch? It's not the develop" of git flow, it's not 7.0 either.

It's a kind of "7.9" branch you see what I mean? The last 7 branch before 8.0...

Can we have a convention for naming that last development serie branch when it's stabilize before develop is eventually extracted from it?

That 7.9 is typically a branch where we and some other early adopter have a few v7 customers before we migrate to 8 some day. It's also a branch that people stuck in 7.0 unable to migrate on 8.0 any soon could use if they are starting to implement the localization now.

Thank you for you suggestions.


-- 
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant
<a href="tel:%2B55%2021%203942-2434" value="+552139422434" target="_blank">+55 21 3942-2434




_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp



_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

Raphael Valyi
Hum that's an idea...

However it's the kind of branch where 95% of the development effort has been concentrated during 10 months for instance, so having a low visibility on such branch isn't so cool to attract people the project...

The issue is also to accommodate with the lack of schedule commitment with Odoo core code. Not talking about these few days late against 7 July commitment, but talking about the lack of timeline perspective in general. For instance we started the "develop" fork of our localization 10 month ago, because we though it was possible that eventually Odoo v8 would have been around March and that would have been bad if we missed the window of the major version change to concentrate the changes that needed to be made in our localization. But then the "develop" fork stayed longer than we initially though and took more importance. Anyway, not criticizing the release process as we all have our constraints, but just highlighting this has this kind of consequences and I'm also sure it has business consequences for OpenERP SA as non coding guru partners tend to be unable to follow these things and use to fail consequently, leaving the eco-system and market in an eternal embryonic stage.

Anybody else having an opinion about how we could best fit these transitional branches in OCA?

Regards

-- 
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant
+55 21 3942-2434





On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Raphaël,

I wouldn't mix both things, creating branches for intermediate or develop versions under main repo. If you have a 7.0 development version, I would fork the 7.0 branch under the brazilian GitHub team, and make the development there. If someone wants to see the evolution, they only have to go to this also public branch. In any other case, you have always the latest stable at 7.0. When you finish this refactorization, then switch the branch, merge it, tag it last stable commit...

Having another branch in the same repo can also confuse people about what branch to use.

Regards.

P.S.: We are also working to include spanish localization under OCA.


2014-07-11 18:29 GMT+02:00 Raphael Valyi <[hidden email]>:
Hello folks,


Here is the thing, we are considering putting the core of the Brazilian localization under the OCA foundation. No rush, but we want to start the process and we don't want to slow down other more urgent OCA activities, that is v8 migration and Github migration of current OCA branches.

We have been using Github, Travis, git flow for a year now (and it helped a lot), so we are aligned on most of the tooling already.

Now we have a question about branch naming convention and some other projects may have it too:

We have 5.0, 6.0, 6.1 and 7.0 branches already.
And we will have a 8.0 branch soon.


Now the question is:

we anticipated the 8.0 API change some 10 months ago already (we eventually expected 8.0 sooner), so in the 'develop' branch we started some heavy non backward compatible changes because we wanted to concentrate them at the new major version while keeping the 7.0 branch API stable and while we couldn't work on 8.0 yet economically speaking.

Still, that 'develop' branch is in fact still working with the 7.0 Odoo branches, not 8.0 yet. The API changes we did were internal to our localization so far and didn't target yet the API changes of Odoo v8.

So now we will split that 'develop' branch into 2 branches:
  • a 'develop' for 7.0
  • and a 'develop' for 8.0 (we won't become stable overnight).

That develop for 8.0 will soon be merged into a 8.0 when we will have stabilized the migration to Odoo v8 and when we will made the next important changes in the localization.

So we have we will have these 4 branches here:
  • 7.0 stable
  • develop for 7.0
  • develop for 8.0
  • 8.0
According to the git flow convention, "develop for 8.0"  will be simply called "develop" as it's where we develop the next stable version.

Now how to call that "develop for 7.0" branch? It's not the develop" of git flow, it's not 7.0 either.

It's a kind of "7.9" branch you see what I mean? The last 7 branch before 8.0...

Can we have a convention for naming that last development serie branch when it's stabilize before develop is eventually extracted from it?

That 7.9 is typically a branch where we and some other early adopter have a few v7 customers before we migrate to 8 some day. It's also a branch that people stuck in 7.0 unable to migrate on 8.0 any soon could use if they are starting to implement the localization now.

Thank you for you suggestions.


-- 
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant
<a href="tel:%2B55%2021%203942-2434" value="+552139422434" target="_blank">+55 21 3942-2434




_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp




_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
You're right, but visibility can be achieved by many ways:
  • ​Directly on GitHub project on the README.md file.
  • Through information on a portal for the localization, like in odoospain.org.
  • Through OCA website
  • ...

Regards.


_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

Raphael Valyi
Yeah,

I think you are right Pedro, we will probably do it like that then. Thanks for sharing your views.

-- 
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant
+55 21 3942-2434



On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're right, but visibility can be achieved by many ways:
  • ​Directly on GitHub project on the README.md file.
  • Through information on a portal for the localization, like in odoospain.org.
  • Through OCA website
  • ...

Regards.



_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Openerp-community] Branch naming guidance for OCA inclusion, "7.9" ?

eLBatti
On 07/11/2014 10:50 PM, Raphael Valyi wrote:
> Yeah,
>
> I think you are right Pedro, we will probably do it like that then.
> Thanks for sharing your views.

I agree with Pedro.

Regards

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40
Tel (IT): +39 011 198 25481
http://www.agilebg.com
https://github.com/eLBati


_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
Post to     : [hidden email]
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~openerp-community
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp