[Openerp-community] Best temporary practice for v8 OCA modules before a decision is taken

[Openerp-community] Best temporary practice for v8 OCA modules before a decision is taken

Leonardo Pistone - camptocamp
Hi all,

I create a new thread to avoid hijacking the other discussion with
this temporary issue.

I was wondering about what is the best way to work on v8 OCA modules
today, i.e. before a decision has been taken on how to handle them.

As an example, I would like to forward port the module base_location
from partner-contract-management.

Since we decided that v8 is on github but how to do that is not clear
yet, I could take the existing partner-contract-management/v7, push it
to github in a branch of mine, and work on base_location there.

When a decision will be taken on how to proceed, we will be able to
either extract that module only, or make a subtree, or keeping all
modules with installable=false. In any case we will not lose either
the original revisions of base_location or my new ones. At that point,
I will be able to do the pull requested as decided.

What do we think about that?

Thanks!

Re: [Openerp-community] Best temporary practice for v8 OCA modules before a decision is taken

Joël Grand-Guillaume @ camptocamp
Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for pushing this topic. It is on the way to decide what to do, but the process is launched and leaded by Guewen.

I tend to think that if you create you own branch, not sure you can then make a pull request on the official branch because the parent will not be the same... But I'm not sure. In the worst case, you can always re-branch / patch / submit pull request...

So, IMO, the best way would be to wait the creation of the branches on github before starting. It should be done this week or the next for the most urgent one.

Regards,

Joël

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM, Leonardo Pistone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

camptocamp
INNOVATIVE SOLUTIONS
BY OPEN SOURCE EXPERTS

Joël Grand-Guillaume
Division Manager
Business Solutions

+41 21 619 10 28

Re: [Openerp-community] Best temporary practice for v8 OCA modules before a decision is taken

Bidoul, Stéphane
On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Joël Grand-Guillaume <[hidden email]> wrote:
I tend to think that if you create you own branch, not sure you can then make a pull request on the official branch because the parent will not be the same... But I'm not sure. In the worst case, you can always re-branch / patch / submit pull request...

So, IMO, the best way would be to wait the creation of the branches on github before starting. It should be done this week or the next for the most urgent one.

+1

As I understand it, a very important and precious resource for mirroring will be the mapping between bzr and git commit ids. If you create your own branch on git before the official one is created with the mirroring script, you will have to recreate your PR / MP from patches.

FWIW, git-bzr-ng stores such a mapping in .git/bzr/map/

-sbi

Re: [Openerp-community] Best temporary practice for v8 OCA modules before a decision is taken

Leonardo Pistone - camptocamp
FYI, in the end base_location seems to work fine on v8 as is, so I
didn't create any temporary branches of mine.

Thanks!