[Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

Alan Lord (Gmail)
One of our customers is seeing some odd things when accessing the web
client (6.0.3) using Internet Explorer v 9 on Windows 7.

For example the footer gets "stuck" halfway up the screen and sits over
the top of list views.

Before I start reporting bugs (I couldn't find any against the web
project BTW) I wanted to know if IE is widely used by other customers
and is working OK.

TIA

Al

Re: [Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

Dominique Chabord

Le 21/11/2011 10:17, Alan Lord (Gmail) a écrit :
> One of our customers is seeing some odd things when accessing the web
> client (6.0.3) using Internet Explorer v 9 on Windows 7.
>
> For example the footer gets "stuck" halfway up the screen and sits over
> the top of list views.
>
> Before I start reporting bugs (I couldn't find any against the web
> project BTW) I wanted to know if IE is widely used by other customers
> and is working OK.

No as far as I know. IE has never been supported or I missed it.

> TIA
>
> Al

Dominique Chabord - SISalp
Logiciel libre pour l'entreprise : Gestion (ERP) et applications web2
18 avenue Beauregard 74960 Cran Gevrier
145A rue Alexandre Borrely 83000 Toulon
tél +33(0)950274960 fax +33(0)955274960 mob +33(0)622616438
http://sisalp.fr - http://sisalp.org - http://bdll.fr

Re: [Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

Olivier Dony (OpenERP)
On 11/21/2011 10:17 AM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
> One of our customers is seeing some odd things when accessing the web
> client (6.0.3) using Internet Explorer v 9 on Windows 7.
>
> For example the footer gets "stuck" halfway up the screen and sits over
> the top of list views.
>
> Before I start reporting bugs (I couldn't find any against the web
> project BTW) I wanted to know if IE is widely used by other customers
> and is working OK.

IE is still a widespread product, so it's sensible to assume it is
widely used to access OpenERP, at least in medium/large companies with
global IT policies.

For v6.0 I think the supported versions of IE include 7.0 and newer, as
mentioned in the documentation:
http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/install/linux/web/index.html#supported-browsers

It would be a valid bug to report, but I should warn you that it's not
going to get much attention via Launchpad right now, because all
developments have stopped on the 6.0 web client. It's being replaced by
a completely new web client in 6.1, so there's no sense in continuing to
improve it.
Users with an OpenERP Enterprise contract can still report bugs for 6.0
via their maintenance channel, of course.

You might also want to try switching IE9 to IE8 or IE7 compatibility
mode and see if it fixes the problem.

The 6.1 web client will support IE9 properly.

Re: [Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

David Rinnan
The main issue with oerp 6 and IE that my clients have had is when opening/printing reports/documents.

IE9 supports HTML5 very well so that should be nice from a development/compatibility perspective.
Personally I think OpenERP should demand the latest browser from MS, Webkit and Mozilla and don't provide legacy support other than if managed by the browser it self.

Unfortunately, for the time being, IE9 has only got a tad bit over 5% penetration. 8 is 3 times bigger, since 9 don't work on XP.

David Rinnan
Business Consultant

ASPIRIX AB
email:    [hidden email]
phone:  +46 707 16 38 00
skype:   david.rinnan
twitter:   davidrinnan

Open Source Business Solutions

21 nov 2011 kl. 15:33 skrev Olivier Dony:

> On 11/21/2011 10:17 AM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
>> One of our customers is seeing some odd things when accessing the web
>> client (6.0.3) using Internet Explorer v 9 on Windows 7.
>>
>> For example the footer gets "stuck" halfway up the screen and sits over
>> the top of list views.
>>
>> Before I start reporting bugs (I couldn't find any against the web
>> project BTW) I wanted to know if IE is widely used by other customers
>> and is working OK.
>
> IE is still a widespread product, so it's sensible to assume it is
> widely used to access OpenERP, at least in medium/large companies with
> global IT policies.
>
> For v6.0 I think the supported versions of IE include 7.0 and newer, as
> mentioned in the documentation:
> http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/install/linux/web/index.html#supported-browsers
>
> It would be a valid bug to report, but I should warn you that it's not
> going to get much attention via Launchpad right now, because all
> developments have stopped on the 6.0 web client. It's being replaced by
> a completely new web client in 6.1, so there's no sense in continuing to
> improve it.
> Users with an OpenERP Enterprise contract can still report bugs for 6.0
> via their maintenance channel, of course.
>
> You might also want to try switching IE9 to IE8 or IE7 compatibility
> mode and see if it fixes the problem.
>
> The 6.1 web client will support IE9 properly.

Re: [Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

Savyn Vydelingum
I cannot believe that OpenERP did not test IE versions...  This arrogance
has to stop.

If you want to do a great product do it well, not a half arse job.

openerp-community-bounces+savyn=[hidden email]
On 11/21/2011 10:17 AM, Alan Lord (Gmail) wrote:
> One of our customers is seeing some odd things when accessing the web
> client (6.0.3) using Internet Explorer v 9 on Windows 7.
>
> For example the footer gets "stuck" halfway up the screen and sits
> over the top of list views.
>
> Before I start reporting bugs (I couldn't find any against the web
> project BTW) I wanted to know if IE is widely used by other customers
> and is working OK.

IE is still a widespread product, so it's sensible to assume it is widely
used to access OpenERP, at least in medium/large companies with global IT
policies.

For v6.0 I think the supported versions of IE include 7.0 and newer, as
mentioned in the documentation:
http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/install/linux/web/index.html#supported-browser

It would be a valid bug to report, but I should warn you that it's not
going to get much attention via Launchpad right now, because all
developments have stopped on the 6.0 web client. It's being replaced by a
completely new web client in 6.1, so there's no sense in continuing to
improve it.
Users with an OpenERP Enterprise contract can still report bugs for 6.0
via their maintenance channel, of course.

You might also want to try switching IE9 to IE8 or IE7 compatibility mode
and see if it fixes the problem.

The 6.1 web client will support IE9 properly.

Re: [Openerp-community] Anyone use IE9?

Christophe Combelles
An ERP is not a public website. I've not yet seen any problem requiring an
installation of a decent browser for the purpose of accessing OpenERP in a SME.
After all, installing Firefox is no more different than installing the OpenERP
GTK client.

Anyway it's no doubt it would be better to support IE correctly...
But there is nothing preventing anyone from doing it. I would personnally never
loose any time doing it, I've been losing way too much time in the past years
because of IE. Never ever again...

I wish the lucky guy a pleasant debugging session under IE.

regards,
Christophe

Le 21/11/2011 22:23, Savyn Vydelingum a écrit :

> I cannot believe that OpenERP did not test IE versions...  This arrogance
> has to stop.
>
> If you want to do a great product do it well, not a half arse job.

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for my brute and unfair reply yesterday, we had some problems
with browser incompatibility.  It is good to hear 6.1 will work well on
IE9.

Thanks

On 21/11/11 14:33, Olivier Dony wrote:
> For v6.0 I think the supported versions of IE include 7.0 and newer, as
> mentioned in the documentation:
> http://doc.openerp.com/v6.0/install/linux/web/index.html#supported-browsers
>
> It would be a valid bug to report, but I should warn you that it's not
> going to get much attention via Launchpad right now, because all
> developments have stopped on the 6.0 web client. It's being replaced by
> a completely new web client in 6.1, so there's no sense in continuing to
> improve it.

Thanks for the information. I sort of guessed that there won't be much
done for 6.0 but have reported the bug anyway:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openerp-web/+bug/893503

> Users with an OpenERP Enterprise contract can still report bugs for 6.0
> via their maintenance channel, of course.

I'm hoping they will be shortly ;-)

> You might also want to try switching IE9 to IE8 or IE7 compatibility
> mode and see if it fixes the problem.

I think they are fairly happy to run with Firefox if necessary but I
have passed on your suggestion.

> The 6.1 web client will support IE9 properly.

That's good to hear.

Thanks again.

Alan