[Openerp-community] AGPLv3 Product Configurator & OCA repo

[Openerp-community] AGPLv3 Product Configurator & OCA repo

Paul Catinean
Hello all,

The Odoo Product Configurator campaign has reached the second milestone.

At this point the backend modules will be published shortly as AGPLv3 alongside the base that is already released.

I would like to thank everyone from this community that contributed with either any sum be it 1 EUR or 2.500 EUR (such as CampToCamp) or through coverage via social media or word of mouth.

Every bit counts and I am and will be thankful to everyone that made this possible with the resources they could spare.

At this point I would like to officially ask the OCA to open up a dedicated repository for the Product Configurator project.

I will do my best to maintain it and with a bit more support the entire package including the website configurator will be there as well.

Let me in on your thoughts and if you would like to support this initiative or help get the website module open source please consider spreading the word or contributing.

Kind Regards,
Paul

Re: [Openerp-community] AGPLv3 Product Configurator & OCA repo

David BEAL
Hi Paul,

Congratulations.
Good news for all.

Why do you plan a dedicated repository whereas there is product-attribute repo ?

Kind Regards

David BEAL - Akretion
Odoo Development / Integration

[...]

Hi David,

I am fully open for any suggestion, there's no fixed idea in my head about where it should go, it's up to the OCA to give the best suggestion.

I just thought that being a set of larger modules with a specific goal and many other future modules that are not 100% related to product attributes (like mrp extension, website interface addons) it should be a standalone repository.

But of course this topic is open for discussion now that it has entered the opensource world and the OCA territory.

Regards,
Paul

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:10 PM, David Beal <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Graeme Gellatly
Sorry for off topic.

product-attribute repo probably deserves a wider discussion.  Its become a bit of a mish-mash of product related modules.

Pre v8 we had product-variant-multi repo and product-attribute repo being actively maintained.  In v8, obviously Odoo added variant support, but it was and still is quite incomplete compared to the product-variant of pre v8.  But they called what was variant dimension values - product attributes.  As a result all the work on filling the gaps of product-variants went to product-attribute and it has become quite a large repo of unrelated modules IMHO.

Then magento of course has the concept of attributes - so some primarily magento related modules are in there.
Then we get a bunch of price related modules.
Then we have actual product attributes related modules.

Personally I'm for splitting this repo up, rather than adding to it.  Something like -

product-variant - for things related to variant management. (attribute groups, product configurator, variant partcode generation etc)
product-pricing - for things related to product pricing
product-attribute - for things related to managing the attributes of products (e.g. length, size, magento stuff, barcodes, weight)

Could also use a little dedupe - not much difference between product_size and product_dimension for example.

But also I know how much work new repos are so really just for discussion.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 11:10 AM, Paul Catinean <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi all,

For my part i think you need to split your repo to join manufacture, website, sale-workflow, etc repository and use oca-dependencies.txt to keep it testable.
Deployment tools (buildout, etc) will do installation right.
My 2 cents

Bonne journée

[...]

Mario thank for the support. Campaign is still active and if you (or anybody else for that matter) wish to contribute for the release of the next module please feel free to do so: https://www.indiegogo.com/campaigns/odoo-product-configurator--2

Graeme, not very active in the repository myself but I do agree with everything you said and I get the same feeling when looking at that repo. I think that the repository is granular with multiple modules but each and everyone of them should clearly belong to the repository if you search for them individually not just in chunks.

David, Separation of modules in each specific repo does sound like good idea. I was thinking that since these modules work closely together for the same purpose and have the possibility to grow into a large suite.

Having them separated across 3-4-5-6 repositories would be logical from a "module-function -> repository" point of view but few but users might end up cloning many large repostories for this functionality.

Maintenance and updates is also on the table when changes must be done across multiple repositories and such.

I guess is at the end of the day the questiona are:

- Should we filter strictly on standard Odoo functionality? (Attributes, MRP, Website)
- If the size of the repository with one tight unique purpose grows will this become an inconvenience?

That's up for debate/vote I'm just trying to present my thought process, again no agenda here

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:15 PM, David Beal <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Note sure this is the right mailing, no more openerp

OCA is [hidden email] ?