[Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

[Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

eLBatti
Dear community maintainers,

following what has been done for l10n-spain, I just created the 8.0 branch of l10n-italy.
I would like to set the 8.0 branch as default and remove the master branch, but I don't have the rights.
Who can help me?

Thanks!

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Hi, Lorenzo, I'll do it.

Regards.

Dear community maintainers,

following what has been done for l10n-spain, I just created the 8.0 branch of l10n-italy.
I would like to set the 8.0 branch as default and remove the master branch, but I don't have the rights.
Who can help me?

Thanks!

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): <a href="tel:%2B41%2091%20210%2023%2040" value="+41912102340" target="_blank">+41 91 210 23 40
Tel (IT): <a href="tel:%2B39%20011%20198%2025481" value="+3901119825481" target="_blank">+39 011 198 25481
http://www.agilebg.com
https://github.com/eLBati

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Ouch, I can't do it also. This must be done, at least for now, from someone of the OCA chart.

Anyone can do it (Joël, Eric, Maxime, Nhomar...)?

Regards.

Hi, Lorenzo, I'll do it.

Regards.

Dear community maintainers,

following what has been done for l10n-spain, I just created the 8.0 branch of l10n-italy.
I would like to set the 8.0 branch as default and remove the master branch, but I don't have the rights.
Who can help me?

Thanks!

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): <a href="tel:%2B41%2091%20210%2023%2040" value="+41912102340" target="_blank">+41 91 210 23 40
Tel (IT): <a href="tel:%2B39%20011%20198%2025481" value="+3901119825481" target="_blank">+39 011 198 25481
http://www.agilebg.com
https://github.com/eLBati

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Davide Corio-2

On 17 Jul 2014, at 18:35, Lorenzo Battistini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear community maintainers,
>
> following what has been done for l10n-spain, I just created the 8.0 branch of l10n-italy.
> I would like to set the 8.0 branch as default and remove the master branch, but I don't have the rights.
> Who can help me?

Is there a reason why you want to remove master?
probably not tomorrow but in a few months someone could be interested in working on 9.0 addons and master would be the right place for that.

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero
Well, my personal opinion about this question is that having an early 9.0 (or master) will provoke that people making PRs to 8.0 branch, don't make the same PR to the new branch, getting inconsistencies between the two branches, and having more updated the 8.0 one, or double the work to do.

If anyone wants to work on odoo master branch, fork the repository and make a new branch, and then make PR against a 9.0 clone branch from 8.0 when 9.0 is ready.

Regards.

On 17 Jul 2014, at 18:35, Lorenzo Battistini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear community maintainers,
>
> following what has been done for l10n-spain, I just created the 8.0 branch of l10n-italy.
> I would like to set the 8.0 branch as default and remove the master branch, but I don't have the rights.
> Who can help me?

Is there a reason why you want to remove master?
probably not tomorrow but in a few months someone could be interested in working on 9.0 addons and master would be the right place for that.

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]
ERP Consultant
L.S. Advanced Software Srl

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Daniel Reis (SECURITAS SA)-3
+1 for no "master" branches.
In LP no "trunk" series was already a common (good) practice.

DR

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Raphael Valyi
Well,

I think we can have a master branch indeed where the development of the next version is regularly converged when it's stable enough. BUT, we can set up the repo so that 8.0 is the 'focus' branch and hence it's what is shown by default and noobs doing a git clone without options and doing PR will be done against 8.0 then.

Wouldn't that 'focus' setting be enough?

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Daniel Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for no "master" branches.
In LP no "trunk" series was already a common (good) practice.

DR

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Holger Brunn
> I think we can have a master branch indeed where the development of the
> next version is regularly converged when it's stable enough. BUT, we can
> set up the repo so that 8.0 is the 'focus' branch and hence it's what is
> shown by default and noobs doing a git clone without options and doing PR
> will be done against 8.0 then.
> Wouldn't that 'focus' setting be enough?

some projects that have stuff for 8.0 going ditched the master branch and
actually set 8.0 to leading/focus whatever makes it the thing you see on
github and the branch you get first when you clone naively.

That sounds pretty much in line with what you propose, and if you name your
development branch 'master' or 'potato' doesn't seem to matter

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Holger Brunn - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: [hidden email]
web: http://therp.nl

Re: [Openerp-community] 8.0 branch for l10n-italy

Ovnicraft

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Daniel Reis <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for no "master" branches.
In LP no "trunk" series was already a common (good) practice.

Yes but in git master is development series, in fact odoo works in that way.

DR

On 17 Jul 2014, at 23:15, Raphael Valyi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't that 'focus' setting be enough?

i think that would be fine.
anyway, having the master branch is not necessary right now.
if somebody needs to develop something for 9.0a he can ask to create 9.0, or master, if missing.

on the contrary, creating or renaming master into 8.0 is really important because that (at least i think) will be the version shown on apps.odoo.com once it starts to fetch projects from github.

--
Davide Corio
[hidden email]

[Openerp-community] Avoid duplicate PRs, port stable branches to master (Re: 8.0 branch for l10n-italy)

Lionel Sausin
Le 17/07/2014 20:21, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero a écrit :
> Well, my personal opinion about this question is that having an early
> 9.0 (or master) will provoke that people making PRs to 8.0 branch,
> don't make the same PR to the new branch, getting inconsistencies
> between the two branches, and having more updated the 8.0 one, or
> double the work to do.
For some time now the stable branches have been merged regularly into
later stable branches and master and the new PR policy is to target the
oldest stable release applicable. So we officially must not make
duplicate PRs on official branches. ie: if a fix is applicable to v5.0,
v6.0, v6.1, v7, v8 and master, you make only 1 PR targeting v5.0, not 6 PRs.

Shouldn't the same be done for OCA repositories?
I suppose git makes it easier than bzr used to.

On 07/17/2014 11:43 PM, Holger Brunn wrote:
>> I think we can have a master branch indeed where the development of the
>> next version is regularly converged when it's stable enough. BUT, we can
>> set up the repo so that 8.0 is the 'focus' branch and hence it's what is
>> shown by default and noobs doing a git clone without options and doing PR
>> will be done against 8.0 then.
>> Wouldn't that 'focus' setting be enough?
> some projects that have stuff for 8.0 going ditched the master branch and
> actually set 8.0 to leading/focus whatever makes it the thing you see on
> github and the branch you get first when you clone naively.

That's what the branch 'default' setting does.

About deletion of master branch: in the past, as far as I remember, we
have never had the need to use a master/trunk branch to develop modules
for the future version of odoo, except when the new version was about to
be released.
Nevertheless, like Pedro, I think keeping now a master branch will just
force us to keep it up to date with 8.0, while probably nobody will be
using it.

So I'm in favour of deleting the master branch. When someone will need
it, they will ask :-)

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40

Le 18/07/2014 10:26, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero a écrit :
> Yeah, that's ideally true, but if branches start to differ, maybe you
> cannot make a PR against another branch. For example, on spanish
> localization, if you make a change on 7.0, you cannot make a PR of
> this branch against 8.0 branch, because now there are some slight
> differences, and probably they are going to be bigger in the future:
> icons path, migration scripts... So the only solution is to make a PR
> of the same branch against all remote branches that applies.
I see your point, but it's not a problem technically, merging/pull does
that very well and clearly identifies the conflicts.
But the conflicts do exist even if you ask for several PRs, it's just
that the contributor resolves them before he makes the PRs.

So my question boils down to: who is going to resolve those conflicts:
the contributor (who has to do several PRs), or the maintainers.
In other words: can CA projects maintainers afford to do this job, to
make contributions easier?

Lionel.

On 07/18/2014 11:31 AM, Lionel Sausin wrote:

> Le 18/07/2014 10:26, Pedro Manuel Baeza Romero a écrit :
>> Yeah, that's ideally true, but if branches start to differ, maybe you
>> cannot make a PR against another branch. For example, on spanish
>> localization, if you make a change on 7.0, you cannot make a PR of
>> this branch against 8.0 branch, because now there are some slight
>> differences, and probably they are going to be bigger in the future:
>> icons path, migration scripts... So the only solution is to make a PR
>> of the same branch against all remote branches that applies.
> I see your point, but it's not a problem technically, merging/pull
> does that very well and clearly identifies the conflicts.
> But the conflicts do exist even if you ask for several PRs, it's just
> that the contributor resolves them before he makes the PRs.

I agree. My point was just that now the master branch is useless and costly.

> So my question boils down to: who is going to resolve those conflicts:
> the contributor (who has to do several PRs), or the maintainers.
> In other words: can CA projects maintainers afford to do this job, to
> make contributions easier?

Typically, conflicts have to be resolved by the contributor, when possible.

Regards

--
Lorenzo Battistini
Tel (CH): +41 91 210 23 40